Intelligent JWs only outside the KH?

by GapingMouth 6 Replies latest jw friends

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Hi to everyone out there and thanks for all the amazing posts on here I read every day.

There are a few people in my area that I would consider intelligent - there is one guy who used to be a Chemistry teacher, for example. Another one knows his sciences too, and his job revolves around that knowledge.

But he confuses me a little... he knows all this stuff and then at the same time he completely ignores it and casts it aside and says the Earth is only 7000 years old. (Yes, he holds to this - he told me himself and grew annoyed when I tried to show that the new WTS leave it a little more open for explanation -- the Bible agree with Science 'special' one for example).

He also, despite this knowledge, refuses to give his 10 month old daughter vaccinations (it is NOT the blood issue) because he believes the risks are higher to take them than not. His wife works in the medical profession. This might be a point of opinion and I can concede that some would choose this course of action even if I wouldn't.

My point is, how can JWs like him just ignore science when it gets tricky and contradicts JW beliefs? I can understand your normal everyday average Brother Joe who doesn't know what he is reading and takes the WTS at face value. But the smart ones, with good educations... *sighs*

It just gets frustrating when you get told off by him (I believe he just got put as a smelder) for discussing 'dinosaurs' or that 'neanderthals are not our ancestors but a separate evolution' or the variety in dogs because anything that even mentions the theme of evolution, genes or the like he actually gets ANGRY and makes you be quiet for fear of being kicked out his house!

Hypocrisy is rampant in the JW congregations but I think the annoying part is someone so SMART being so STUPID at the same time. It makes his ignorance and arrogance that little bit more irritating.

Thoughts and comments?

GapingMouth

• ssn587
    ssn587

it's because their minds have been diluted from trhinking clearly on any issue that disagrees with the society. They can't allow themselves to go beyond the brainwashing that has happened, it would take them out of that numbed/comfort zone they are in and they can't hankle it and won't until something happens to them or to a loved one.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is called cognitive dissonance.

They deal with it by blanking it out and not thinking about it. They know it doesn't make sense and they don't want you to come along pointing that out.

Try to word everything you want to say as questions. Don't 'tell' them anything. Get them to explain the discrepencies to you.

Cheers

Chris

• cantleave
    cantleave

Earth is only 7000 years old

That isn't even a WT teaching. They say the human race is 7000 years old not the earth.

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Yes cantleave, which is why it is so annoying - you cant even reason with him from the WTS point of view!!!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Show him an old NWT, with the timeline in the back, that gives a date for creation.

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

I know what you mean GapingMouth and I agree that it can be very irritating.

I love conversation and often like to delve deeply into a subject and explore possible avenues of reasoning. I have not had anyone get angry like this person you are talking about but I have had some funny stares (meant to make me feel uncomfortable I suppose) as well as the amusing situation where the Witness has that "deer gazing at the headlights look."

If something is in the Watchtower then it is simply supposed to be accepted. The only "discussion" allowed are statements to the effect of "oh yes, the Society is right, how wonderful that we have the 'faithful slave' to provide such wonderful articles." Anything else will likely end up with you being suspected of heresy.

As for not being able to reason with this man even from the WT view--I just suspect that he is one of those people that always has to be right anyway and gets all emotionally excited when challenged. There are plenty of those in the organisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit