undercover

Thith thread ith thilly

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thankth. Ith like i thought.

S

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I went to Stonehenge, it was smaller than I had anticipated though. Everything is chained off so that you can not get too close.

You are able to walk around the perimeter. But it was still great to see, I liked circle stones about 20 miles from there the best.

h4o

• Farkel
    Farkel

My Mother always wanted me to give myself Chthonics to clean out my bowels, but I refused because it was so disgusting with the hoses and warm water and all that yucky stuff.

Farkel

• wobble
    wobble

Asking us to use the word in a sentence reminds me of the teacher of young children who said:

"Give me an example of a question,and then in your reply to my answer use the word "definitely" "

Little Johnny puts up his hand and says:

"Please Miss do farts have lumps in them ?"

"No Johnny " the teacher replies,

" In that case" says Johnny "I have DEFINITELY crapped myself ! "

Love

Wobble

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

My grandmother lived by Chthonics, as the cure to everything. I would sneeze and out comes the hose and water bottle.

I didn't like it.

At first.

---

My apologies to Ron White.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was a hard word to pronounce going all the way back to Proto-Indo-European *g h d h em, *d h g h em"earth" (the latter via metathesis) dating to c. 3500 BC. The tendency was often to delete one of the initial consonants, insert vowels between the two initial consonants, mutate phonetically the two sounds, and also the /m/ was often assimilated to /n/ (an alveolar sound like *d h). So from this root we get Hittite tegan, tagnas (genitive) "earth" (< *dheghen, *dheghn-o, which involves inserting a vowel between the first two consonants), Sanskrit kçam "earth" (< *ghemvia mutation), Greek khamai "on the ground" (< *ghm- without mutation), Latin humus "earth" (< *ghom-o), Lithuanian zheme "earth" (< *ghem), and Old Church Slavonic zemlija "earth" (< *ghem-ilo). Of these, only Hittite preserves the two initial consonants; other languages that do so include Tocharian A tkam, tkanis (genitive) "earth", Greek khthón "earth" (whence English chthonic), and Phyrgian gdan "earth".

There are some interesting suffixed forms as well. *gh(dh)m-ilo- has the sense of "under" and "below", as in Greek khamélos, khthamalos "low", Latin humilis "low" (whence English humility and humble), and Thracian Semelé "name of a goddess of the underworld". The suffixed form *gh(dh)m-on- has the sense of "human, man", which is derived from the word for "earth" in a manner similar to the Semitic word for "human" (e.g. Hebrew 'dm "human" and 'dmh "ground"). So we have Oscan humuns "people", Latin homo, -inis "man", humanus "human" (whence English human), hemónem (accusative) "person", Gothic guma "person", Old English guma "person" (whence English groom), Old Prussian smonenawins (dative) "person", Old Lithuanian zhmuo, zhmuni "person", Lithuanian zhmona "woman", zhmones "people", Tokharian B çamna "person". The name of the mother earth goddess among the Illyrians was derived from *(gh)d h em-máter "earth mother", which gave rise to Thessalonikan Greek Dammatér, Doric Greek Damatér, and classical Greek Démétér. Demeter was the goddess of earth and grain, who gave humankind a gift of grain, and her Greek epithet was Khthonia (= Damia, her Illyrian epithet, cognate to Sanskrit kçam-yah "earthly"). There was a mother earth goddess among the Hittites with a similar name Annash Taganzipash "mother earth". This raises the possibility that the ANE god Dagan (mentioned in the OT) derives his name from Hittite forms tegan, taganzipa-, for like Demeter, Dagan was a god of grain and the earth, and that West Semitic *dagan "grain, cereal" is derived from the god's name. The main difference is that the Indo-European deities were female and Dagan was male.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Leolaia,

Where do you find all that academic shit, anyway? Don't you have any Dave Berry books?

Farkel, Low Brow CLASS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ohhhhh, I have been such a geek for etymologies since high school when I compiled lists and lists of cognates of words from many different Indo-European languages. But if you are interested in sources, here are some main ones:

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/idgwbhin.html

http://www.indo-european.nl/%5Cindex2.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit