Why it's Dangerous to Associate w/ Jehovah's Witnesses-Barbara Anderson

by flipper 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

TOH, If the Watchtower doesn't pressure youth not to persue higher education, why do so few jws persue it? Why are they dead last in this? See statistics posted by Skeeter on the last page. Those numbers say far more than individual examples.... but here's my experience:

I was raised a jw, and my dad was an elder. He believed in higher education, and I went to college...started in the fall of 1969. The CO demanded that he step down from his position. My dad refused...pretty much made mince meat out of the CO. They left my dad alone... however, I was considered "bad association"... and pretty much shunned by many in the cong. and the circuit.

Most jw youth did not/do not have the benefit of an elder dad who would stand behind behind them on this issue.

Coffee

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Fair enough Old hippie, it's just a shame that the one example you picked on to demonstrate Anderson's alleged 'vast exaggeration' is actually no exaggeration at all, as attested to by people here, from Watchtower documents, and from from my own personal experience.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Did you know that JWs are encouraged to report on other JWs who break a medical doctrine such as the ban on blood? JWs will do this to attain status with both Jehovah and with peers.

Not to attain status, but because they think it is the right thing to do.

-----------

It is a psychological ploy where "status" infers that the tattling JW becomes "more worthy" because they build their "righteousness" upon exposing the "sins" (rule infractions) of others. No different from the behavior of Pharisees.

It is a psychological ploy also that JWs keep score with god. God can't dispute their "worthiness" when they have time cards to back up "all their good work". The tattling appeals to their self righteousness. It is extra padding on the score board, too.

Everyone knows you have to prove why you are more worthy than others...or you might get canned at the big A, too.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

black coffee lover: A very sad story indeed. It is a shame COs act like that. Our DO visited our congregation last year and in one of his talks mentioned higher education. His point was that the parents and perhaps one of the elders in a friendly way should make sure the student-to-be had calculated or realised what possible dangers he/she would meet, in other words that he/she made an informed choice - and that each and every one in the congregation then should accept and fully honour the choice made by the youngster and that nobody had the right of critizising that choice. If only more DOs and COs could have an attitude like that.

friend who still has not got his shoes - point received. I see that the majority HERE have experienced the opposite of what I am trying to say. Fair enough. But 100 % stereotype it is not. Besides, I tried to make some other points as well, but it seems this one stirred the most reactions.

cameo-e - I disagree, but it is nice we do not start name-calling each other despite of that!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

TOH You didn't comment on the first part of my post. The tiny percentage of jws. who pursue higher education says volumes. (again, see Skeeter's post on the previous page) JWs have the lowest percentage of college attendees compared to other religions. Our individual stories are just that...but when added together as a whole, the result of wt thinking is that very, very, very few jws go to college. You know this. Everyone who has ever been a jw knows this.

Coffee

• JWoods
    JWoods

Indeed coffee.

So, did we ever figure out how many of our lost family have died from lack of a blood transfusion over the past few years?

Just wondering...

James

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Is it really that stricked in USA??

Angel, if that is how you spell "strict" (as in unbending and without consideration) - then, YES, it is.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

here's what Barabra said

Literally, thousands of Witnesses die each year when there is need for whole blood or some blood components that JWs don’t approve of.

James Woods,

So, did we ever figure out how many of our lost family have died from lack of a blood transfusion over the past few years?

Just wondering...

James

No family members from my side became witnessess but there has been 1 individual who needed blood and would definitely have died if she hadn't had transfusions.

I personally know a young JW mother who came close to death because of refusing a blood transfusion. Another young JW who suffered from sickle cell anaemia had to cope with huge problems in her dealings with the medical establishment each time she went into hospital during a sickle cell crises. She could have done without such needless anxiety. She got disfellowshipped but still believes.

On my husbands side 2 people who've studied gave up their studies as they have sickle cell anaemia.

I've also personally heard of a few non family members who've died through refusing a blood transfusion.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Just saying. We have to be very careful when we take on great responsability.

I was merely keeping very quiet until someone else spoke up.

Again, I say - be careful of what you say and do. The more profile, the more scrutiny.

James

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

okay I whisper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit