I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan...

by Chalam 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

I watched Forrest Gump the other day. It is no surprise it is one of the most successful movies of all time, I haven't tired of it :)

Anyhow, toward the end of the film as Gump speaks to Jenny's grave the words made me think of JWs and the WT.

Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both.

So my understanding is that JW neither believe in destiny or luck? If that is true, what do they believe?

The film leaves us with a question. Are we caught up in destiny or we are floating free in randomness (or a combination of both as per Gump's hunch)?

It seems others are taken with this question and the symbolism present at the close of the film.

6.1 Feather

Various interpretations have been suggested for the feather present at the opening and conclusion of the film. Sarah Lyall of The New York Times noted several opinions that were made about the feather: "Does the white feather symbolize the unbearable lightness of being? Forrest Gump's impaired intellect? The randomness of experience?"[74] Hanks interpreted the feather as: "Our destiny is only defined by how we deal with the chance elements to our life and that's kind of the embodiment of the feather as it comes in. Here is this thing that can land anywhere and that it lands at your feet. It has theological implications that are really huge."[75] Sally Field compared the feather to fate, saying: "It blows in the wind and just touches down here or there. Was it planned or was it just perchance?[76] Visual effects supervisor Ken Ralston compared the feather to an abstract painting: "It can mean so many things to so many different people."[77]

Personally, the symbolism speaks of what is written of here

John 3:8 (New International Version)

8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

2 Corinthians 3:17 (New International Version)

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

So how about the WT and those who follow it? Surely their argument that there is no destiny is un-biblical? Romans 8:29-30 Ephesians 1:5 Ephesians 1:11 All the best, Stephen

• Farkel
    Farkel

Chalam,

The WTS doesn't believe in destiny, fate, luck, goodness or even fun in the world. They are the most miserable sonofabitches I know.

Yes, I agree with you about Forrest Gump. It is a delightful, feel-good movie. We need more movies like that.

That "feather", together with the rich music accompanying it is one of the most poignant parts of the film, and frankly, I don't think it can be summed up better than what Forrest Gump said at the end of the movie. Any attempt at explanation beyond that demeans it, I think.

Many people don't stop to consider that Forrest Gump, with all the fanciful stories about his life and luck, is first and foremost....

a love story.

Farkel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Forrest Gump is a better movie than its sequel "Benjamin Button". I remember seeing it in the theater and I was so moved, I had goosebumps and tears at the end. One of the more powerful movies but done in such a gentle way. Brilliant, memorable music. I think it's Tom Hanks' best role, better than "Saving Private Ryan" or "Philadelphia".

I've often thought of what that character had to say at the end, and I am starting to come around to agreeing with it. Maybe with the codicil of being slotted mixed in with fate. I think there are some in this life that just have no chance. It's not their fault and I don't want to cheapen them by calling it fate, but I am coming around to thinking that someone somewhere has put some people in a "you're-fucked-and-there's-nothing-you-can-do-about-it" slot.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Farkel,

Thanks for your post :) A great movie anyway you look at it.

I think that actually defines what a great movie is, yes it makes you feel good but yet honest (every scene may not be a feel good scene). The main thing is it brings hope.

Even more that that, it is food for though. You find yourself thinking about aspects of the film days and weeks later.

For me the whole film is summed up in the question Forrest poses at the end. The food for thought is this question we take away with us.

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Big Tex,

Thanks for the post :)

There are other important themes in the movie too. Wisdom verses intelligence. The importance and value of life and the question of death. Real love and friendship. The values of serving and charity. Child like faith verses cynicism.

I think the film touches people on many different levels, hence your reaction (and mine).

All the best,

Stephen

• moshe
    moshe

I am always amazed at how Forrest Gump was able to do so much without a driver's license. How he was able to get a captain's license for a Shrimp Trawler was an unexplained mystery. I think Forrest Gump had a form of autism that just made him appear to be mentally deficient- perhaps it was Asperger's syndrome. Back then these kids were just classed as slow leaners who lacked social skills.

I don't think the hand of fate has had any bearing in my life, or I am just like Forrest Gump- not smart enough to see it.

• dissed
    dissed

I related to Forest, Forest Gump because of the Vietnam War era stuff. That was my time.

Trivia? One of the jogging scenes was filmed in our territory. Some of those jogger extras you saw were JW's from our congregation. haha Hey, it didn't pay much, but it beat going in service for them.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

#1 Trophy Just to add this about Forrest Gump yes it was a great movies, but so was Rain Man.

I figured I would add my two cents worth.

orangefatcatCat 10

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for all the posts :)

I don't think the hand of fate has had any bearing in my life, or I am just like Forrest Gump- not smart enough to see it.

Moshe, one of the things I get from the movie is that people who are too smart can be limited in what they see and achieve but Forrest, who had limited intelligence had vision for much and excelled in everything he put his hand to? The whole thing speaks of faith, he had a child like faith and indeed much wisdom.

Trivia? One of the jogging scenes was filmed in our territory. Some of those jogger extras you saw were JW's from our congregation. haha Hey, it didn't pay much, but it beat going in service for them.

Dissed, hopefully that scene spoke to them. They are in a cult, running from place to place, following someone with nothing to say.

Orangefatcat, I need to see Rain Man again, that is always in the top films list.

All the best,

Stephen

• glenster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit