Which Autobiography book should I get?

by asilentone 11 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
  • stealyourface
    stealyourface

In the past few years I have enjoyed James A. Michener's 'The World Is My Home'. And it was. Fascinating man.

Loren Eisley was a palentologist looking for evidence of humans in the pleistocene age, authored several books on natural science, and many short story collections. He ended up as an administrator at Penn State. His autobiography is titled 'The Night Country'. He's the one who wrote the short story 'The Star Thrower' which blends spiritual philosophy with science . Here is an online version: http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/action/activist_starthrower.html

Ayaan Hirsi Ali's 'Infidel' is a look at her life in war torn Somalia, her forced arranged marriage and her escape to the Netherlands where she had to learn the Dutch language, and how to function in a modern society. She put her self through college, and won a seat in the Dutch Parliment. She had to overcome her upbringing in a destructive cult bent on the destruction of Western society, to become one of it's champions. She currently lives under 24 hour guard, because people can't just walk away from her cult of upbringing.

I'm sure you'll get many responses to your call for autobiographies. I look forward to seeing what else is offered, because I enjoy them too, and am always looking for a good read.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Private Parts by Howard Stern. It really makes you think.

• acolytes
    acolytes

To inspire you

"Diary of a young forger" Marion Pretzel

To repulse you

"Am I a murderer?" Calel Perchodnik

CHECK THEM OUT.

Acolytes

• RR
    RR

"I'm just a red dot with hands and legs" by minimus

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I have to agree with stealyourface...Ayaan Hirsi Ali's 'Infidel' is definitely an eye opener. I couldn't put it down. I started a thread about it after I read it a year or so ago.

Coffee

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

One year ago I read Wild Swans by Jung Chang, the real life history of her (chinese) family from the last days of the chinese empire down to Maoist Cultural Revolution. I held my breath up all through the book. The author now lives in London.

Found lately in a used books shop The Liars' Club, by Mary KARR, a history of the author's youth in Texas. I've not started reading it yet but looks good.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Generally speaking, I suggest you stick to autobiographies where it's actually the person who is telling his or her life story, rather than someone else.

But that's just my opinion.

My favorite autobiography is "My Life as a GT0", 1973, by "Judge" Pontiac.

Farkel

• White Dove
    White Dove

Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra. An autobiography means the author is the subject of the story. Biography means someone else could have written it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Wild Swans is awesome and there are some interesting parallels to WTism

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit