Thinking about....UU

by wonderwoman77 4 Replies latest jw friends

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Well all, I have done a lot of investigating in the last week about the UU and I am liking what I find. I have talked to a member of one of the churches in my area and they have a class in january for new and prespective memebers. It is a four week class where you discuss your religious journey to this point, learn about the churches history, learn about how the church in involved in the community and then the last one you can sign to be a member if you wish. I am going to visit the church first, but I think I will do it and see if this is for me.

From what I have read, this church is very warm. They are located not too far from where I am. The movement as a whole seems open to allowing me to change my beliefs and grow spiritually. They consider themselves a no dogma religion, which impresses me.

Thanks for all of you who discussed these topics previously. I will let you know what happens.

• JAVA
    JAVA

wonderwoman77,

The UU church is a good place to land if one is seeking, but doesn't need another dogma. I know several former JWs who attend UU services, and enjoy the fellowship. Best to you, and Happy New Year!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

WonderWoman,

Great luck and blessings on your spiritual journey! I've found a church that encourages personal spiritual growth, even if it means outside their church walls and beliefs. I think that's pretty cool! The fellowship is good and healthy and most of all they practice what they preach. I hope you find happiness - whether it's at this church or another or not at church at all. Just remember that having a relationship with God does not mean you have to have a church. But having a church is comforting when it comes to worshiping with other fellow-believers. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Love,
    Andi

• Mum
    Mum

Recently I was listening to Garrison Keillor tell a joke on the radio (A Prairie Home Companion).

e asked if anyone had heard about the Jehovah's Witness who became a Unitarian. This person had a compulsion to go from door to door for no particular reason. ;-)

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm glad you found a place you like. Many ex-JW's (understanably)have a hard time continuing their spiritual journey after breaking free of the Watchtower. My wife and I have been attending a large church since shortly before we DA'd ourselves. An ex elder invited us. As Andi said it is good to get togther, even more so when you are there because you want to be, not because somebody makes you.

I got bowled over the day the pastor said "Now I don't want all of you running out of here saying 'we have to believe this' just because I said it." What a refreshing change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit