Christian hoteliers charged with insulting Muslim guest. Implications for JWs?

by Black Sheep 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• villabolo
    villabolo

I think that those 'meetings only' watchtowers that incite hatred towards and demonizes us as being like Satan might be used in a case against the WBTS.

villabolo

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Among the things Mr Vogelenzang, 53, is alleged to have said is that Mohammad was a warlord. His wife, 54, is said to have stated that Muslim dress is a form of bondage for women.

Yeah, I can see how the Christians in this story could be perceived as being nutters for saying Mohammad was a warlord and that the burqa is a form of bondage.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I think if chrisitan hoteliers are going to appear to take exception to their guests beliefs (from their guests point of view) they should at least get an education. Perhaps if they lose this case they will be forced to.

I hope they lose because of the impact this case could have on JWs. Jehovahs witnesses do go around saying stuff like "so and so isn't a JW anymore and we can't say why but they definitely aren't". An individual's reputation in the community is an important aspect of their freedom.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

What if an avowed atheist were to say that Mohammad was a warlord and that burqas are bondage? Would this get column inches in the newspapers and would people be hoping that they would lose in a court case?

Would we expect the atheist to get an education? Would we be offended at the atheist taking exception to the Muslim's beliefs? What about an atheist's reputation in the community? Are atheists to be free from accusations of intolerance towards the faith of Muslims or Christians, or do they get a pass because to them any form of faith is delusional and irrational?

Conversely, what if a Muslim where to argue that Christians were offensively arrogant by stating that Jesus is the only way to God? Would they be charged with with breaching Section 5 of the Public Order Act – causing harassment, alarm or distress to the Christian?

Would we be posting on this forum that we hoped the Muslims would get a criminal record and a £2500 fine?

Are we on a level playing field?

• nelly136
    nelly136

hmmm there may be implications for householders, if they offend the uninvited guests on their doorstep about their 'religion'.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

passwordprotected, the way I see it indivduals who feel offended have the right to bring charges when they feel insulted in a public place. It is for the courts to decide. Moreover if you are running an hotel part of one's education would include the maintenance of ethical standards in a guest hotelier relationship. Also the newspaper reports that the hoteliers were interrrogated very thoroughly by the police before charges were brought.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

passwordprotected, the way I see it indivduals who feel offended have the right to bring charges when they feel insulted in a public place. It is for the courts to decide. Moreover if you are running an hotel part of one's education would include the maintenance of ethical standards in a guest hotelier relationship. Also the newspaper reports that the hoteliers were interrrogated very thoroughly by the police before charges were brought.

None of this answers my questions, I'm afraid.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

passwordprotected the answer is yes to all your questions - - its saturday morning, the sun is shining and I have spent quite a lot of time on my computer already. If this thread is still running this evening and you are feeling like a discussion then lets do it.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I've nothing to discuss on this topic; the simple question is are we on a level playing field? The reductionist's content on this thread has answered my question to my satisfaction.

Have a great Saturday.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'm still here. the answer to the last question has to be no, the playing field is tilted quite steeply against minorities, for obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fight if they feel then can.

definitely out of here now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit