Trolling the Obits

by megs 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• megs
    megs

So, a poster here stated that he trolls the obits and counts his time while doing it. Anyone else here engage in this behavior when active? Or know someone who did this? Or is he amongst the more "special" members of your average congregation?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Never did it myself. Never heard of anyone in my old KH who did this. Doesn't mean they didn't, though.

• megs
    megs

I think this particular poster is OTT... He's holier than those who are holier than thou... Methinks I am somewhat suspicious!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

If you read everything that poster says, he's not a normal JW. He has a lot of beliefs that make the JWs look sane. Sounds a lot like my ex.

I remember being encouraged to write letters based on obits. Can't remember what book. May have been the newer ministry school book. I just wrote random letters to not-at-homes. Made my pioneer hours that way.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I actually DID THIS

Another thing our elders encouraged was going out in service at nursing homes,

• megs
    megs

aww Lance, at least you have the grace to be embarrassed about it!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

When I first began pioneering an elder suggested I do it to keep up my time during the harsh winter months in PA, so I did. I felt uncomfortable about it, so the folowing years I just put in extra time before the snow started to fly.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have heard this "suggestion". I have heard it given in the Theocraptic Misery "School(??)" in a Number Three Talk. I have also heard it mentioned from time to time, usually as part of a list of "suggestions" to improve your results, during the Circus Meetings. Usually, it is a paragraph, or part of a paragraph, in a Kingdumb Misery that also "suggests" bus stops, phone witlessing, and letter writing.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

All in an effort to 'increase time'. Rather hypocritical isn't it....the whole getting a certain number of hours per month. I thought it was a saving work....not how many hours you could notch up. I've never agreed with the pioneer work. Maybe I should rephrase that. I don't agree with the 'monthly average' and doing your 50hrs a month or whatever it is. That to me isn't doing it for the right reasons.

I've never written letters to householders, but I know many who do, and telephone witnessing and early morning service, at bus stops etc. I think in all my years I maybe went out one time early in the morning. As a child I used to do evening witnessing. Mostly to please my dad.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Btw, what is an obit?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit