Book Burning!!

by Pork Chop 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

You guys are going to love this one. Can't say I've ever seen a book burning down at the old KH. Feel free to turn it into a link.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/Stories/0,1002,9596%257E295774,00.html

Well try it this way.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/page2.asp

• outnfree
    outnfree

Can't get to the story from that link, Pork Chop.
    You have a title? (IS it "Book Burning?")
    Thanks,

outnfree

When the truth is found to be lies
    and all the joy within you dies ...
    -- Darby Slick, Somebody to Love

• Satanus
    Satanus

Out

Highlight, copy and paste the whole url.

Pork

I remember the wt asking us to get rid of some of their own books. I believe one was the 'lamp' book. It was yellow. It had some pages where a jw could permanently record their baptismal date. Go figure.

SS

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks, Saint!

No, PorkChop, no book burnings at the old KH, but the same close-minded attitude towards the Harry Potter FANTASY books -- sight unseen. I

Is Snow White taboo? Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella? Hansel and Gretel (because of the stepmother's murderous attitude)? Most JWs would let their children read these or see the Disney versions.

I WAS the JW mom who rejected Harry Potter out of hand because he went to Hogwarts. My daughter snuck the books anyway (and was punished when caught). Finally, however, I actually read part of one. Found it better than many fantasy books and nothing whatsoever to do with Wicca or any religion. Now I've read all four and my youngest has just finished being "enchanted" with the third. None of us has any inclination to become witches or warlocks.

(We've had enough of weird cults, thank you very much!)

I'm with the librarian on this one. Burn whatever you like, but don't tell ME what I should or shouldn't read.

outnfree

When the truth is found to be lies
    and all the joy within you dies ...
    -- Darby Slick, Somebody to Love

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

I detect an imposition of a fellow-witnesses conscience in the air.

Again.

Anyway, this kind of thing is old hat. Do a web search ona decent search engine using key words like evil and potter and see what you find.

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

• LB
    LB

>>>>>Brock, who will be giving a sermon this Sunday entitled, The Baby Jesus or Harry Potter? said the church plans to hold a holy bonfire Dec. 30 to publicly burn Harry Potter books and other so-called unacceptable material.<<<<<<<

I wonder if he'd enjoy burning my old watchtower colletion???

Just kidding, I beat him to it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit