• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It's a conspiracy!

• yknot
    yknot

Seriously Cool!

• exjwbennymcd1978
    exjwbennymcd1978

snakes quite often eat other reptiles in this case a lizard that was to large ~ something had to give

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well what is strange is that mutations usually are non functional, and yet the leg was working from what the person stated

• exjwbennymcd1978
    exjwbennymcd1978

the lizard was STILL ALIVE ~ !

• yknot
    yknot

I wish I was a member of the dissecting team.......

(granted I paid piddly attention to snakes in biology)

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Mrs Duan said she was so scared she grabbed a shoe and beat the snake to death before preserving its body in a bottle of alcohol."

But meanwhile she managed to take a beautiful digital picture of it, when it definitely es NOT somewhere in her house and definitely is ALIVE, and this Chinese woman of course OWNED a camera ........................

Me thinks there is a definite smell of FAKE somewhere here ..............

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well it is clearly outside and well.........fakes can be fakes

• John Doe
    John Doe

Doesn't look alive to me. Check out the discoloration (bruising) in the top left of the picture.

I guess the snake didn't get the memo that god made snakes without legs. As far as a Chinese woman owning a camera, what is so unusual about that? How do you even know she's the one who took the picture?

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

The foot on the snake is an excllent example of an "atavism" and it's one of the evidences of common descent (ie. evolution).

An atavism is an evolutionary throwback. It involves traits reappearing which had disappeared generations ago.

nb. It is different from a vestigial feature in that it is a feature that does not usually occur in that particular species. Vestigial features in humans include: the appendix, the coccyx (tail bone), ear muscles which don't move, the plica semilunaris in the inner corner of your eyes, wisdom teeth, goose bumps which serve no purpose without a hairy body to actually keep you warm, and so on.

Although vestigiality is universal, atavisms are relatively rare.

Very common atavisms are:

1. teeth in chickens

2. whales/snakes/dolphins with hind legs

3. horses with extra toes

4. humans with tails (our ancestors had tails)

5. humans with extra nipples (our distant ancestors had 4-10 nipples to rear multiple young)

and many many more.........

Atavisms occurs because the genes for certain features that our ancestors possesed are still preserved in our DNA even though they are not expressed outwardly. Another example of a throwback from our fish ancestors is that all human foetuses manifest gill-slits which close up at a later stage of development.

If we were not related to other creatures but created specially, these features would not occur. This snake is a fine example of a throwback to its legged ancestors.

Dorayakii of the "battered to death and preserved in alcohol" class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit