Registered sex offender to become ordained minister

by purplesofa 16 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"I've learned a lot of things as far as what situations not to place myself in," said Hourigan.

When my wife heard this she snapped. After she came up for air I reminded her that this already exsists in the congregation. She went quiet for a while.

• Heaven
    Heaven

This is one of the main reasons why I don't want to or ever will join any religious group.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well that's what led me to stop making donations some years back. I just wasn't interested in funding pay outs to victims of pedophiles in the congregation

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    "You may go to church somewhere and there may be one sitting right next to you and you don't even know it,"

But they're not ordained ministers who command a certain respect in the congregation. This woman has the same faulty reasoning as the jws.

Hourigan has signed a contract with the church not to have any contact with children.

That's more than what's done with perverts at the kingdom halls, but I still don't think he should be ordained.

If he has changed so much and "converted" to God so fully then he shouldn't have any problems with preaching to people in Jail, other sex offenders and such and NOT to people that don't want him around.

Psacramento, I completely agree!

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Didn't Paul/Saul order the disciple Stephen to be killed? Wasn't he also a Roman Soldier that perhaps in the line of duty 'killed' many people himself? Was he not a sinner? Did Jesus feel him worthy to preach his message after he confessed and was 'washed clean'???????

Look, I am not defending this guys past actions (Iam a parent and his past actions sicken me!), but if he has 'done the time for the crime' and the state has deemed him 'free' and 'reabilitated' then who the hell are we to judge what he can and cannot do now? if you had made past mistaks, felt bad, appologized, changed you ways and wanted to 'get on with life' , how would you feel about an artical like that being published about you?????

What ever happend to 'do unto others' and 'love for your neigbours'???? if you would like to be forgiven, should you not also forgive???

forgiving does not mean forgetting- it is simply to let go of the hate and move in peace, while learning from the past (the past- something you cannot change!)

If he has changed so much and "converted" to God so fully then he shouldn't have any problems with preaching to people in Jail, other sex offenders and such and NOT to people that don't want him around.
    I mean, there is lots of preaching he can do that makes sure he has ZERO contact with children.

This is a good sugestion for if the parents of the cong still feel uncomfortable with his past- but we cant make that choice for him.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

You should probably investigate the rate of pedophiles who commit the same crime again is. It's not very good. That's why they have to report their whereabouts at all times, Apparently this guy feels he needs to stay clear of certain situations. He's already disqualified himself.

He can still preach. Why does he need to be a minister?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This happens all the time. Every Jehovah's Witless becomes an ordained minister upon baptism (so they can be held responsible for the spiritual condition of the whole community), even the pedophiles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit