Man suing bible publisher

by Mickey mouse 10 Replies latest social current

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I don't rate his chances of winning. This is the group he's suing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zondervan

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-07-09-gay-bible_N.htm

CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A gay man is suing two heavyweight Christian publishers, claiming their versions of the Bible that refer to homosexuality as a sin violate his constitutional rights and have caused him emotional pain and mental instability.

Bradley LaShawn Fowler of Canton, Mich., is seeking $60 million from Zondervan, based in Cascade Township, and $10 million from Nashville-based Thomas Nelson Publishing.

Fowler filed the suit in federal court against Zondervan on July 7, the same day U.S. District Judge Julian Abele Cook Jr. refused to appoint an attorney to represent him in his case against Thomas Nelson.

Fowler filed a suit against Thomas Nelson in June. He is representing himself in both claims.

"The Court has some very genuine concerns about the nature and efficacy of these claims," the judge wrote.

Fowler, 39, alleges Zondervan's Bibles referring to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort and periods of "demoralization, chaos and bewilderment."

The intent of the publisher was to design a religious, sacred document to reflect an individual opinion or a group's conclusion to cause "me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder," Fowler wrote.

Fowler's suit claims Zondervan's text revisions from a 1980s version of the Bible included, and then deleted, a reference to homosexuality in 1 Corinthians without informing the public of the changes.

The other suit, against Thomas Nelson and its New King James Bible, mirrors the allegations made against Zondervan.

• besty
    besty

Zondervan owned by Harper Collins owned by News Corp

He has zero chance of success.

• villabolo
    villabolo

That's like a Jew suing the publishers of Mein Kampf. I could understand where they are coming from but it is a wrong approach.

villabolo

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

A bunch of Masturbators are doing the same thing......

I have 5,000 protest signatures so far! ..............................oop's said too much!

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Man suing bible publisher

L - O - S - E - R.

Farkel

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

A bunch of Masturbators are doing the same thing......

I have 5,000 protest signatures so far! ..............................oop's said too much!

Ooops! The pages stuck together!

• yknot
    yknot

Oh well he got some press!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Is "pathetic" too strong?

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Not as silly as it sounds,

"The Man Who Sued God is a 2001Australian movie in which Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, an ex-lawyer who sues God because his boat is struck by lightning, and his insurance company refuses to pay, claiming it to be an act of God. By claiming to be God's representatives on Earth, the Christian churches and Jewish synagogues are held to be the liable party, putting them in the difficult position of either having to pay large sums of money, or prove that God does not exist."- from wikipedia...

This guy, may just be on to something- or he could be a total crack-pot!...

• RR
    RR

"no chance"? LOL ... don't underestimate our judicial system

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit