Healthcare Reform - The President's Address to Congress - How will it impact your profession?

by jeanniebeanz 17 Replies latest social current

• choosing life
    choosing life

It will be interesting to see whether the salaries of healthcare workers will be affected. I work as a nurse and I have a friend in medical school right now. She is kinda nervous that caps will be placed on new doctors and it will be difficult to recap the money spent on schooling and make a good living too.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Everybody is still trying to understand how the specifics will be implemented. One of my good friends is a doctor and she is understandably nervous about the whole transformation. She and her partners own some diagnostic clinics and she voiced some concern over how much control the government is going to have over her ability to order diagnostic tests for her Medicare patients. She is a thorough and very caring doctor and leaves no table unturned when it comes to diagnosing a problem. She fears her hands will be tied by limits and regulations.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Journey, that is one reason that I have extra coverage ..above regular medicare. I now have no problems getting any tests or meds I need but I pay apr $90 for med B...$157. for extra medical so I will have no deductables, $38. for RX insurance and $48. for dental coverage as Medicare doesn't cover teeth, I guess they think we don't have any..lol

Some of the comments I have are:

I love the idea of no lifetime caps...

I believe some insurance companies will accept pre-existing conditions now but some wait months or a year before they will cover that condition.
    They also will charge sometimes 4 times the regular premium for preexisting conditions.

When I had cobra my payment was $500. a month..after the time limit was up they wanted $1,500. to continue my insurance..that was only for one month..I did without insurance for two years and thank goodness had no major problems. I did have some blood work done and it cost me $900.

I also like the issue of not dropping the patient if they are running up too big of a bill...I think that happens a lot.

My Daughter has a pretty large Limo company and they are concerned that they will have to get health insurance for their workers. They only have two or three employees that are actually full time, the others work as needed.(drivers) But they say they won't be able to stay in business if they are forced to get insurance for their workers...

• choosing life
    choosing life

I believe they can opt out if they can show it will be a severe financial hardship to the business, Snoozy.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've been hoping for a major standards initiative that will streamline the movement of data amongst different entities....$$$. I work in IT.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Do I smell a future government bail-out (ala the car industry)? This is one way the government can step right in, take over, and become "the biggest shareholder". Voila! Mission accomplished through the back door. Stay on watch people! Keep an eye on the left hand if the right hand is waving.

Ohh mercy lol.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

For those interested in following the White House's vision of healthcare reform, the official site is:

http://www.healthreform.gov/

The comments above are all very interesting... I'm doing a little research before responding but wanted to post the website.

Thank you, everyone for your thoughtful comments.

J

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Details of the plan are so sparse that I can not determine if I will pay more or less for health care. I might have some confidence in the plan if some more specific details were not kept secret.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit