Diane Sawyer - World Nightly News

by jeanniebeanz 35 Replies latest social current

• undercover
    undercover

Was it Diane Sawyer that did a story on the JWs on 60 Minutes way back? Something about child custody...

• undercover
    undercover

Hope she can handle the pressure of a nightly news cast...

Just sayin...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Quit your jesting, JWoods!

It's been some years, but I believe the kids were Roma pickpockets.

They were disheveled, unkempt little blisters. I remember being impressed with how Diane sat with them and allowed them to play with her hair and her hands. I believe they were orphans; they were certainly skilled little thieves.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't know about Diane, UnderCover, but Lesley Stahl did a 60 Minutes report on how controlling and insular the JW's are.

I remember fielding a lot of questions the following Monday.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    Lesley Stahl did a 60 Minutes report on how controlling and insular the JW's are.

Lesley Stahl....that's who it was... Thanks...

Yea, I remember my parents quit watching 60 Minutes after that broadcast. They used to say 60 Minutes was fair and good journalism but the second they skewered the dubs, they said they didn't have their facts straight and refused to watch anymore.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Quit your jesting, JWoods!

Gosh, mom - do I have to already? We were just starting to have some fun...

BTW, Undercover - what has been seen, can never be un-seen. Ze protective goggles - zey do not really work.

• undercover
    undercover

Beer goggles wouldn't even help in this case...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    my parents quit watching 60 Minutes after that broadcast.

LOL.

I think a lot of other JW's did, also.

For me, it was one of those cognitive dissonance moments as I tried to do damage control at work the next day.

I had to admit reluctantly that she was right on some points.

Now, I wonder why I bothered.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

For what it is worth, this thread has reminded me of a little story. My beautiful pick-pocket Gypsy girl of Rome.

On a wonderful fall day, another couple and my companion & myself were touring the eternal city. The others had gone ahead, and a girl of about 18 (very skinny, very beautiful, the actual picture of Esmerelda from Victor Hugo) and three little syblings came up.

She had some kind of cardboard sign which I could not read. She kept holding it up closer and closer to my eyes - and then I noticed that she was kind of feeling me up. All over my body, so to speak. She was having trouble finding my wallet, as I had it in the right breast pocket of my sports jacket.

When she got JUST that close, I captured her tiny hand by the bird-like wrist. I held on only long enough to make her drop the cardboard sign and look me in the eyes. The fear was palpable. Her little sisters were of course gone like cockroaches when you turn on the lights in the slum kitchen.

I am sure that she was glad to have her freedom back...I was certainly glad to have kept possesion of my billfold and passport.

For sure - she is probably still picking pockets for a living - but, hopefully, she will be a little more careful with tall blonde guys wearing cowboy boots.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

tall blonde guys wearing cowboy boots

Huh? Um... *shakes head* I'm sorry, JWoods... I know you said something else, but this is all that I remember... can you please tell the story again? Just got a bit distracted there for a minute...

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit