Bethels could still serve as pilgrimage shrines-quietlyleaving

by Lady Lee 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods

And, and - a Jehu's Chariot ride - and, and - a gratuitous "lets drop Jezebel from the upper floor window" scene ----- with animatronic dogs to lick her blood ---

Finally some good comes out of the notorious Squibb Pharmaceutical buildings...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Patterson wasn't around when I left. But I was at Georgetown and visted Bethel and Wallkill both twice. It was most definitely an experience.

It was interesting to remember that there is a dress code to tour a printing factory!!! They have turned the printing of books and literature into a spiritual event.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Seriously, Lady Lee does make an interesting point...there were less rules to visit the freaking Westminster Cathedral for crying out loud.

Remember how the guide lectured you to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, and to only speak in whispers so that you would not disturb the holy printing work?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

And what a pilgrimage it is. So very true, Lady Lee and Quietly Leaving. My family made the pilgrimage... (thankfully years after I left.) The next year they were talking about using that year's vacation time there, too... I asked, "but once you've seen it, you've seen it... right?"

The thing the WTBTS doesn't realize (or perhaps they do?) is that people need ritual in their lives. The "meetings" are so dry and corporate-board-meeting-like (prompting the visitor to ask "When do you worship?") Some Witnesses grasp at any bit of celebration, ritual, joy and meaning that they can. Besides making me want to shudder, I'm almost glad they have an allowed pilgrimage. (Okay who am I kidding, I want them to realize it all for what it is.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit