Practicing Christian Deism- long.

by Lillith26 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

(an artical from http://christiandeism.com/ that I found of some value and thought I would share for those who may intrested in hearing a different but still respectful persective on the man we call Jesus).

Practicing Christian Deism

Deism is based on the premise that life is a gift. A gift is something that we receive because someone intended for us to have it.

The fact that we have life through no decision or action of our own is evidence that life has been given to us. In using the word "life," I am referring to the individual "self" or personal consciousness that you perceive within your physical body. This is sometimes called "soul" or "spirit" or "being." Jesus used the term "spirit." He said, "It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail," that is, the physical body is of no value without the spirit (John 6:63). This, of course, is stating the obvious because without "life" we cannot have consciousness, and our physical body is of no use without personal consciousness.

Deists believe that a Creator (usually called "God") intentionally created the world and humankind. Deists infer this from the complex designs observed in nature--both in the world and in humankind. Based on this premise, deists believe that we should show our appreciation to God for the gift of human life and the natural world that sustains life. We show appreciation to God in three ways: (1) by respecting the value of one's own life, (2) by respecting the value of life in other persons, and (3) by respecting the value of the natural resources of the Earth on which human life depends.

Respect for the value of one's own life is shown by:

1. Taking care of your health. We should not neglect or abuse our bodies by abusing alcohol and other drugs, eating unhealthy foods, eating too much or too little, failing to exercise and rest, or neglecting personal cleanliness.

2. Doing your share of work required to maintain human society. We should not neglect the care of our home or family. To the extent we are able, we should support ourselves and contribute to the economy of the community.

3. Enjoying your life. A person can find much joy in common things and everyday experiences. Enjoyment does not depend on having wealth or expensive pleasures.

Respect for the value of life in other persons is shown by:

1. Not doing anything that causes human suffering.

2. Trying to relieve human suffering whenever possible.

3. Taking care of other persons, or helping them to take care of themselves, as a situation requires.

Respect for the value of the natural resources of the Earth is shown by:

1. Using the natural resources wisely, renewing them, and by sharing them fairly with all other persons.

2. Not damaging the land, water, and air by neglect, exploitation, or pollution.

3. Avoiding overpopulation that depletes limited natural resources. The population of the Earth has increased from 2 billion to 6 billion persons in the last 50 years. This uncontrolled growth of population is depleting the natural resources of the Earth, and is the underlying cause of most wars. Population growth must be halted by means of education, contraceptives, and voluntary sterilizations. However, in my view, abortion should not be used for birth control, and rarely used for other purposes.

"Worship" means "to honor" or "to respect." Deists believe that we worship God by showing respect for the value of human life and the world in which we live. Deism is called "natural" religion because its principles can be discovered through our observation, experience, and reasoning. The principles of deism have been recognized and taught by great teachers in many different cultures.

A man named Jesus expressed the essence of deism in terms that came from his Jewish culture. Jesus said, "The Lord our God is one; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength" and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:29-31). Christian Deists see the premise and principles of Deism in these statements but we must understand what Jesus meant by these words. These statements begin with the premise of deism, an affirmation that God exists ("The Lord our God is one").

Then the first principle of deism is stated as, "You shall love God with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." This means loving God with your whole self--soul (conscious being), mind (intelligence), and strength (body). You should show respect to God by what you are, by what you think and say, and by what you do. In other words, you should live in a way that shows that you appreciate the gift of life that you have received. Above, I have suggested how this may be done in practical ways. The second principle of deism is stated as, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Note that "love for neighbor" is related to "as yourself." This is important. The requirement to "love your neighbor" is based on the assumption that you love yourself. In other words, you must first recognize the value of your own life, or love yourself (have self-respect) before you can fully appreciate the value of your "neighbor's" life. This leads me to believe that God wants us to love our own life--enjoying it as a gift. In my view, gifts are for the enjoyment of the receiver, and for the joy of the giver. I believe that God wants us to enjoy our lives and help others enjoy theirs. From experience, we know that much joy in life comes from giving love (care) to others, and receiving love (care) from others. Now I would call your attention to something that is usually overlooked, or ignored, in the teachings of Jesus. When Jesus said, "You shall love . . . God," he was essentially quoting from the Hebrew scriptures (Deuteronomy 6:4). And when Jesus said, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," he was quoting from the Hebrew scriptures (Leviticus 19:18). But in Jesus' definition of "neighbor," he went far beyond the definition in the Jewish religion of his day. The Hebrew book of Leviticus (19:18) states, "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Here, "neighbor" is defined as "sons of your own people" or, in other words, your Hebrew (Jewish) neighbor. Only one exception to this definition is made in Leviticus 19:33, "When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. The stranger who sojourns with you shall be as a native among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt; . . ."

Leviticus is known as one of the "books of Moses." Obviously, this book defines "neighbor" as "sons of your own people" (Leviticus 19:18) and "strangers who sojourn in your land" (Leviticus 19:33). In other words, "neighbor" only included Hebrews and other persons who lived in their country. There was no requirement to love anyone else, and this was clearly demonstrated when Moses ordered the Hebrew army to slaughter or enslave people of other countries as the Hebrews marched toward Canaan to invade it (Deuteronomy 20:10-17). When Jesus was asked, "Who is my neighbor?," he answered with the parable of the "good Samaritan" (Luke 10:30-37). In this parable, Jesus defined "neighbor" as EVERYONE, even those who are considered "enemies." The Jews and the Samaritans viewed each other as "enemies" but, in his parable, Jesus used a Samaritan as an example of a "good neighbor" who came to the rescue of a suffering Jew who had been beaten and robbed. This story must have shocked the Jewish audience. On another occasion, Jesus said, "You have heard it said, 'You shall love your neighbor but hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, so you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends his rain on the just and the unjust" (Matthew 5:43-45). We may resist the idea of "love your enemy" because our "enemies" are persons who have offended us or have threatened us in some way. What did Jesus mean by "love your enemy?" Jesus certainly did not mean that we should be passive toward someone who seriously threatens our lives. On the night that Jesus was arrested, he and his disciples obviously felt that they were in danger because Peter said, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison or death" (Luke 22:33). Then Jesus urged his disciples to arm themselves with swords (Luke 22:36). Jesus obviously believed in the right of self-defense. But later, when one of his disciples made a "first strike" with his sword, Jesus condemned the action, saying, "No more of this" (Luke 22:50-51). So what did Jesus mean when he said, "love your enemy"? Jesus said, "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you" (Luke 6:27). Love your enemies and do good . . . for He (God) is kind to the ungrateful and selfish. Be merciful, even as your Father (God) is merciful" (Luke 6:35-36). While retaining the right of self-defense, we should try to "do good" and "be merciful" to our "enemies." This may turn an "enemy" into a "friend" or, at least, we can find out whether there is any chance to solve the conflict by peaceful means. In teaching "love your enemy," Jesus went far beyond the religion that he had been taught in his culture. Just as God provides the necessities of sunshine and rain to all persons, including the "good and evil" and the "just and unjust," we must be ready to "do good" and "be merciful" to all persons, even those we consider our "enemies." Loving your enemies is a keystone in the religion taught by Jesus. Today, in our world, we see how fear and hatred can lead people to see others as "enemies" who must be destroyed. The hatred expressed in the cycle of revenge--an eye for an eye-- has blinded people from recognizing that their "enemies" are often persons who are suffering from poverty, disease, ignorance, exploitation, and hopelessness. They need help. What would happen if someone tried to "do good" and "be merciful" to them? What would happen if we sat down with our "enemies" to find out what they need from us, and to tell them what we need from them? Maybe we could find some ways to help each other, and achieve a better world for all of us--a world that Jesus called "the kingdom of God" on earth. Call this "unrealistic" if you wish, but you must admit that the leaders on all sides of every violent conflict in the world today are accomplishing nothing but death and destruction. No causative problems are being solved. It is time to try a different approach.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I haven't read the whole thing, but the first paragraph seems to get it wrong:

Deism is based on the premise that life is a gift. A gift is something that we receive because someone intended for us to have it.

That isn't Deism.

BTS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And this explains the difference between me, and my sisters (I was the only planned one).

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Burn the Ships- this is one mans reasoning- I have not stated that I agree or disagree with it, but I have read the 'whole artical' and found some value in it. No two Deists think alike so to state this isn't Deism would be half correct- it's ChristianDeism, what draws us together as Deists of sorts is not what we believe but how we reach our conclusions. The journey not just the destination.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

bookmarked

• 504deist
    504deist
    1. Taking care of your health. We should not neglect or abuse our bodies by abusing alcohol and other drugs, eating unhealthy foods, eating too much or too little, failing to exercise and rest, or neglecting personal cleanliness.
    1. Using the natural resources wisely, renewing them, and by sharing them fairly with all other persons

these 2 points are incorrect when it comes to deism. deism has no dogma. you decide how to treat your body. if you want to drink and do drugs it's your business, no one elses. the second one is a good idea, but, has nothing to do with deism.

the rest of the article about jesus expressing the essence of deism is also incorrect on a few points. deism has no named deity. it does not say we have to do the things jesus taught such as prayer, tithing, turning the other cheek, or calling on god. it promisies no after life, or paradise earth.

we appreciate god, but, we do not pretend to know what he wants or what he is. we believe we all have personalities for a reason and to go against those personalities is wrong.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Iam your garden variety Deist and I do see a little too much christian dogma in this, but I like the Deist version of the story of Jesus- this is a man I would get along with (if he didn't mind my having the ocassional cigarette), I found it interesting how a traditional religion could be addapted to a not so traditional philosophy. This ChristianDeism is not exactly my cup of tea, but I do find it a refreshing and more possitive way to look at the bible preferred to the Classical Deism approch.... I find it worthy of concideration, but it's not for everyone.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I appreciate the website. I don't think this article or the website claims to be purely deist. I think the idea is that a deist can find a lot of meaning in the philosophies and theories of Jesus in the traditional gospels without having to say they are Christian or worship Jesus.

Just a possible way a deist can find some spiritual meaning in their life.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Thankyou for getting it All Time Jeff

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The fact that we have life through no decision or action of our own is evidence that life has been given to us. In using the word "life," I am referring to the individual "self" or personal consciousness that you perceive within your physical body. This is sometimes called "soul" or "spirit" or "being." Jesus used the term "spirit." He said, "It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail," that is, the physical body is of no value without the spirit (John 6:63). This, of course, is stating the obvious because without "life" we cannot have consciousness, and our physical body is of no use without personal consciousness.

Gnostic for sure.

Why do people not want to acknowledge Jesus as God, as the fully-divine, full-human person he was? Just curious. All of the Christian Deism stuff sounds quite new age.

If Jesus said he was the way, the truth and the life, why not just come to him and have done with it rather than dancing around philosophies that sort of acknowledge him, but reduce him to a decent dude who spoke some cool things.

If we follow his story through to the last book of the Bible we find him as a victorious King, a tattoo on his leg, the blood of his enemies on his white robe and a sword coming out of his mouth. Jesus said we were to honour him, just as we honour his Father in heaven and that he has the authority to be mankind's judge.

Let's imagine he does return and he does judge. What will we say to him? "Woah, JC, dude...I dig your little stories, but c'mon...worship you? Get real, fella!"

Seriously though, it's worth thinking about; who really was Jesus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit