so if paradise won't happen, what about armargedon?

by highdose 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I hope it comes. The sooner god murders me, the better off those around me will be

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Now, now children. Don't be upset... It was all just a fairy tale afterall. Looks like I'd better get the Benadryl and leave the lights on again.

J

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It's rather strange, when you think of it, that an obscure pseudo Hebrew toponym (symbolic place name of an imaginary battlefield) occurring only once in the weirdest book of the New Testament (Revelation) has become THE keyword for JWs' end-time expectation. The eschatological-oriented segments of early Christianity had way more meaningful and positive terms for what (or, more exactly perhaps, whom) they expected. They were hoping for the advent (parousia) or coming (erkhomai ktl.) of the Son of Man, the Day (hemera) of the Lord, Jesus' revelation (apokalupsis) or manifestation (epiphaneia). They were expecting somebody they knew and loved rather than something they dreaded. For sure it had a negative side (not so much the "great tribulation" or distress which concerned only Jerusalem and was already past, at least from the Synoptic Gospels standpoint, but the subsequent universal judgement), but it was overwhelmingly positive from a believer's perspective. "Sons of light" expecting the "day" to which they already belonged (1 Thessalonians 5), as the coming out of their own "hidden" reality (Colossians 3). This bright aspect of early Christian eschatologies is completely lost in WT doctrine. JWs tend to fear what they expect rather than look forward to it, I think.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:This bright aspect of early Christian eschatologies is completely lost in WT doctrine.

Given the way the WTS is set up, it has to be that way, or the religion wouldn't work.

Farkel

• wobble
    wobble

Narko,you just said wot I said but a bit posher.!

Thanks for the post, and you have highlighted something that bothered me when I was in, that the Bible message of hope was always given such a negative spin by the WT.

Love

Wobble

• jonathanconway
    jonathanconway

"Armageddon" and "paradise" are as fictional as "hell" and "heaven".

There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit