The Daily Text~translation of meaning

by purplesofa 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I got this in an email today,

Does anyone have the full daily text for this day?

I was reading to days text. and here is something that I've notice. In the Spanish daily text we read in part:

"*** Texto del sábado, 05 de septiembre de 2009 ***
    Por ejemplo, se ha valido de apóstatas y de otros medios para tratar de hacernos creer que las enseñanzas del esclavo son falsas

If I was to translate it literaly, I would translate: The teaching from the Slave. Anyone would. for the spanish this would be direct and it means.. what the FDS or the GB teaches. But note how the Daily text re writes in English:

*** Text for Saturday, September 05, 2009 *** He has tried to use apostates and others to convince us that the teachings we follow are false. If I was to translate this into spanish, it would say "las creencia que tenemos" or las "ense~nazas que seguimos" which mean our biblical beliefs. The spanish version basically says apostates claim what the Slave teaches is wrong, while the english version says our biblical beliefs are wrong.. or what we learn from the Bible is wrong. The Spanish text focus on the Slave, the English on the Bible.

• blondie
    blondie

So what WT article, month/year, paragraph/page was this taken from. That is usually listed along with the text. Then check the english one.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

W08 1/15 5:10, 11

edit: I have found that JW translators do take "liberties" with translating the Watchtower and awake into other languages. I was told that JWs don't do a strict translation but that they choose words and sentences that fit the readership - so sometimes the translated copy can seem quite a bit different while retaining the same sense

• blondie
    blondie

Text for Saturday, September 05, 2009

Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.—1 Pet. 5:8. Since we are imperfect, it can be a challenge to produce spiritual fruitage, avoid the works of the flesh, and resist the pressure exerted by Satan’s world. Nevertheless, we are determined not to allow discouragement resulting from personal weaknesses, temporary failures, or physical limitations to affect the strength of our faith or diminish our love for Jehovah. We know that Jehovah will preserve the great crowd alive through the great tribulation. All the same, we are constantly on guard because we know that our real enemy is the Devil, and he does not give up easily. He has tried to use apostates and others to convince us that the teachings we follow are false. But that tactic has usually failed. Similarly, although persecution has sometimes slowed down the preaching work, often it has served only to strengthen the faith of those persecuted. w08 1/15 5:10, 11
    WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY
    OF PENNSYLVANIA
    All Rights Reserved __________________
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

it would nice if we could see what this days text says in other languages. I've been trying to find it in italian but no luck so far

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Actually, thats what the emailer said as well, he was looking for other translations,

Thanks blondie

• blondie
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

Ok the french says:

par le moyen d’apostats et d’autres individus, de nous convaincre que les enseignements auxquels nous adhérons sont erronés. the teachings we adhere to.
  • civicsi00
    civicsi00

That is strange. That's quite a liberty to take, IMO. Seems they want to take a stronger hold over the Spanish brothers, no?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

If Jesus came to set us free....then there should be no Slaves. Any who are slaves are under bondage to some entity that is not from Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit