I'm perfect you're doomed: Tales from a Jehovah's witness upbringing

by superman 9 Replies latest jw friends

• superman
    superman

Me and my wife just got this great book from the library entitled 'I'm perfect you're doomed:Tales from a Jehovah's witness upbringing' writtin by Kyria Abrahams (an ex-jw). I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned or read it (it's still fairly new), but it is a great book. For anyone who was raised in the 'troof' or group up in it you will find it very interesting. This book is also great for Non-Jws in that it tells what life is like for a JW kid growing up. I think that the way this book it is written is extremely effective in exposing what it truely means to be JW to an outsider. In the book Kyria tells about her life (starting off from an early age) about how it was to have to endure the stupid rules of JWism. But what makes it interesting is that in the book she simply lays it out without coming off as a disgruntled victim, or bitter cry baby. I think her doing this gives readers a non-biased outlook, into just how crazy her life as a JW kid/Adult really was. The book is VERY funny and it explains the different things such as DFing, the Blood rule, and other JW things so that outsiders are able to get a feel for life as a JW. Reading the book took me back to the days and feelings of how it felt to be such an outsider (but her take on it is comical). Reading this book is almost like therapy for anyone how is a recovering Ex-JW or still in. CHECK IT OUT

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I might go check it out today.

• Adrianoblue
    Adrianoblue

could you please also mention the book company and number?

thanks.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Kyria also has a YouTube channel, if anyone is interested. She is a comic, so this should give you an idea of her style of approaching the topic of JWs.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I read the book several months ago,

When I returned the book, I stuck several little sticky notes with this website written on them.

lisa

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

You can get the book info here.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch
    I read the book several months ago,
    When I returned the book, I stuck several little sticky notes with this website written on them.
    lisa

What a great idea lisa. That has given me an idea for Ray Franz's books in our library!

Hopscotch

• villabolo
    villabolo

Sticky notes can be removed. I would write it out on the inside front cover.

villabolo

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Sticky notes can be removed. I would write it out on the inside front cover.
    villabolo

Umm...that's called vandalism...and you can get your library card taken away. lisa

• Deceived
    Deceived

I didn't know you get it in the library already?? I am in Canada I wonder if its here, I better go check.

There was a thread here somewhere by someone who said he didn't like the book at all. It ended up in a war of words so I wasn't sure if it was worth buying or not. I would prefer to borrow it for that reason.

Did anyone read the book Out of the Cocoon by Brenda Lee another ex Jw woman. I haven't read that one yet either but she sure is out there with her blogs and videos. http://www.outofthecocoon.net

I also had a horrible childhood being born in and brought up my zealous pioneer parents in the 50's 60's, I thought I was the only one and wanted to write a book about it. Now I see that I wasn't the only one and its a good thing I didn't write the book because I would have been just another story amoung thousands of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit