Witness Bible altered text Genisis 3:6 to show the "Tree of knowlege" had no "magical powers' Cover up! Shock!

by Witness 007 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My eyes fell out of my head when I found this....I always thought the tree of Knowlege had "magic Powers" but the Watchtower said no, no it's just symbolic.

This is how the verse reads in the NWT bible. Gen 3:6 "The woman saw that the tree was good for food and it was something to be longed for to the eyes, THE TREE WAS DESIRABLE TO LOOK UPON......." {Repeats the same verse twice!}

Check out the NWT footnote study version. Gen 3:6 Footnote "Literally - "The tree was good for food and that it was something to be longed for with the eyes TO IMPART WISDOM {Intelligence, Prudence}......." WTF!

Eve wasn't just looking at the tree thinking "Yum what a yummy apple" {when she already had millions of fruits to choose from} she was thinking "this thing will give me super wisdom!"

Fits the other verses which claim there "eyes were opened" and they realized they were naked and had made clothes etc etc....yet the Watchtower says no way!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If I had ever noticed that, I had forgotten it.

There is a PDF of the Hebrew interlinear here. http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen3.pdf

Cheers

Chris

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Good find, I didn't remember that either: the NWT main text seems to interpret lehaskil (1) of literal sight (against its usual sapiential use, insight, intelligence, understanding), and (2) the tree/fruit as the object rather than the cause of (in-)sight, which makes incredibly poor sense in the context. One could wonder if it is a naïve extrapolation from English syntax (e.g. "good to see"). The strangest thing to me is that the wording of the footnote seems to suggest that the LXX was chosen against the MT, the latter being read as "Lit., 'to impart wisdom (intelligence, prudence)'", i.e. as causative hiph'il (which is likely in this context although not absolutely necessary). But the LXX uses a cognitive verb, not one of literal sight (katanoèsai).

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

And the exact nature of the problem is?

(Cannot ask 007, it seems, as he lost his eyes and went blind, 'cause this was the worst thing he ever saw.)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hmm. The nrsv says:

So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate.

I see what you mean.

S

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Checked a couple of other translations; the problem is, you mean, that while other translations state the tree could make you wise, the NWT just states it was nice to look at?

I got it too, Satanus ....... finally

• brinjen
    brinjen

There were no Watchtowers around back then, how could they possibly gain any insight without a Watchtower?

• dinah
    dinah
    There were no Watchtowers around back then, how could they possibly gain any insight without a Watchtower?

Excellent point, Brin! If only Brother Russell had been around back then to 'splain things to them!

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

the tree represented "knowledge"..for instance,the tree of life,it wasnt the tree that would have given you life,it represented life,Jah would have given the person life. Adam sinned,it wasnt the tree that made him die just by touching it,as the Jah said do not touch the tree,Jehovah took away the gift of perfection as punishment. Jehovah is the almighty,the one with the power. When Adam sinned if he had then made it to the Tree of life,the tree wouldnt have given him everlasting life,Jehovah would have had to give him everlasting life for thats what the Tree clearly represented.

Only Jah can give life,not a tree..only Jah can give knowledge.

Anyway i'll proberbly be shot down now but i know many of you will understand what im saying,its so clear.Sometimes when there is so much hate towards an org people just want to see bad all the time.

• Mary
    Mary

I was always under the impression that there were two trees: The "tree of knowledge" and the "tree of life". The 'tree of life' was the one they were supposed to continuously eat from in order continue living and the 'tree of knowledge' was the one where 'sin' would enter the scene.

Sooooo, wouldn't it have been the 'tree of life' that (supposedly) had the magical powers?

Maybe we should do a Questions From Readers on this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit