On Looking For Work In This Economy

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Wow, I have had my degree for just over a year now. I have been working closely with a career counselor for the past 6 months and have submitted lots of applications and resumes to dozens and dozens of companies for a long list of potential positions I would like to have. I worked hard as an almost 50 fading jw to get my college education and since I can no longer climb poles in windy-sub-zero-weather to fix people's cable I locked myself into Network Administration. I have had ONE interview in all this time. I drove a hundred miles to Bakersfield only to run into 62 other people also vying for two open positions.

Now it looks like I am finally going to be accepted. For a totally non-field related position with the IRS. NOw instead of working on the cutting edge of computer network technology I will be fielding complaint calls from angry people who wanna kill the first person they talk to about their tax bill. What did I ever do to deserve this???? LOL

Is the economy so bad that all a highly skilled and well trained person like me can get for work is part time scud work?

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Man that sucks! I'm afraid it's only gonna get worse.

Can I ask.....

Where did you go to school? What kind of degree do you have? Do you think you're the victim of ageism?

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I am so sorry to hear this and hope that eventually the right thing shows up. The same happened with my teenage son trying to just find a fast food or labor job, almost impossible. He finally found something, but it's alot of short days and ridiculous split shifts. I am supposedly in the best profession for right now, nursing. However, they run you like a dog, cutting staff, I wonder how long my body can take it. Have you tried looking out of state or is it pretty much the same everywhere?

• Borgia
    Borgia

Quite ironic, Tired, if you look at this from acertain angle: you working at the IRS..... a non-constitutional entity ... forcing people to pay a non constitutional tax.....and now you are groomed to put out the first forest fires when people call....

Nevertheless ... I wish you a lot of fun with it. Hope you will enjoy yourself and is the starting point of a good career.

Cheers

Borgia

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    I am supposedly in the best profession for right now, nursing.

This is true, for now. I look for this to change VERY rapidly. Everyone who's losing their job right now is planning on going into nursing. I just took a chem class last semester made up entirely of middle aged white dudes who had been layed off from manufacturing/construction and they were ALL going into nursing.

I expect the nursing force in America to overstaff in the next 5 years. If you're currently a nurse keep your eye on this.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

"Where did you go to school? What kind of degree do you have? Do you think you're the victim of ageism?"

I went to Kaplan University and got my Associates degree in about a year. I have only been to one interview and my age is left OFF my resume. Maybe I should color my facial hair?????

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I went to Kaplan University and got my Associates degree in about a year. I have only been to one interview and my age is left OFF my resume. Maybe I should color my facial hair?????

I try to pay attention to every story I hear about job seekers in this economy. I'm try to correlate hiring practices with job outlook within different sectors. My aim to to identify niche areas that take a massive amount of education to become hired in.

IMHO the job market is currently being affected by a herd mentality as layed off, frightened people run from one career path to another.

It pays to stay away from the herd.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

TOH: "NOw instead of working on the cutting edge of computer network technology I will be fielding complaint calls from angry people who wanna kill the first person they talk to about their tax bill. "

You mean they actually have real people manning the phones?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

"You mean they actually have real people manning the phones?"

Yes, and apparently they don't pay them very much either...

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Is the economy so bad that all a highly skilled and well trained person like me can get for work is part time scud work?

Yeppers.

I was laid off in March and only just last week found a job. It's a dead end accounting job, paying half what I made before, but beggars can't be choosers.

I feel ya.

"There is no such thing as genteel poverty in this country. I'm sorry sir but if you don't find another source of income, and soon, your alternatives are extremely limited and unspeakably grim." -- A New Leaf, 1971

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit