Is it ok to malign another's faith?

by bluecanary 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yes, absolutely malign the hell out of it it's a joke and it's a lie and it's all bad!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Not only is it OK, in certain instances it is absolutely necessary.

Here is but one example. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing

An honor killing (also called a customary killing) is the murder of a family or clan member by one or more fellow family members, where the murderers (and potentially the wider community) believe the victim to have brought dishonor upon the family, clan, or community. This perceived dishonor is normally the result of (a) utilizing dress codes unacceptable to the family or (b) engaging in certain sexual acts. These killings result from the perception that defense of honor justifies killing a person whose behavior dishonors their clan or family. Honor killing is mostly widespread in Islamic countries or countries with predominantly Muslim population. [1]
    The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) estimates that the annual worldwide total of honor-killing victims may be as high as 5,000. [2]
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

definitely necessary sometimes - .

JWs do it to other groups but what I find truly shameful is when they do it to vulnerable individuals. I have no time for JWs when they do that and will speak my mind whether they like it or not.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I agree with the WT statement that it is not religious persecution to say and point out that it is false- but only if that religion is being forsed upon you!

The very last religious question I asked my study mentor before I left was "How do you feel when you tell someone that what they have believed their whole life is a lie? wouldn't you want to be damn sure before you make the statement that will change their entire life?

I have no inclination to try and convert an Atheist- they only differ from me as a Deist in one way, I believe in higherpower and they dont- it is the revealed religions (Judasim, Islam, Christianity) that go out of their way to convert/control the mass population that are commiting the real 'religious persecution' to those who need more than faith to believe, to those who dont have enough proof to believe and even amoung themselves.

I dont know about everyone else but I will never say Iam 100% a true believer and know 100% that I have the truth, but Iam 100% certain that I have made the right choice for myself by leaving revealed religion in the trash were it belongs!

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's ok to criticise any religion, except for judaism. Jews suffered the deaths of 6 millions, doncha know. So, judaism is not to be criticised. Doing so can get you labelled antisemite. It's a terrible thing, nay the worst, being thought of as antisemite.

S

• parakeet
    parakeet

As long as the religion stays away from me personally (adios, dubs and Mormons), doesn't attempt to legislate how I live my life (goodbye, Christian fundamentalists), doesn't attack and kill my fellow citizens (see ya, Muslims), doesn't try to hide child molesters (ba-bye, Catholics), or in any way try to force their beliefs onto me, I'm won't say a word against them.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Satanus-Ok, so I am an ANTISEMTIC-APOSTATE WHORE LIVING IN BABALYON- yeah I can live with that Iam now very used to being persecuted by reaveled religions for my simple beliefs! Iam unconvertable- thou shall not be anyones sheep or scapegoat!

• inkling
    inkling
    Doctrinal Debates and a Religions past wrongdoings lead to great discussions if done with respect.

Some beliefs do not deserve "respect" in any form.

You are telling me the Islamic doctrine that a father/brother should kill thier
    daughter/sister if she has (or is accused of having) premarital sex is a belief
    that should be discussed with a tone of respect?

If a crazy gunman thinks he should shoot kids on a school ground, we don't
    treat him or his beliefs with respect. We treat him as a sociopath. We "malign"
    him, his actions, AND his beliefs.

Some religious doctrine is no less then institutionalized sociopathic behavior,
    and should be treated as such.

[inkling]

• glenster
    glenster

Nothing has caused more harm than people getting too 'centric about their
    belief or non-belief group (or race, nationality, etc.). About any time people
    percieve they're in a group, some will rationalize they're the good ones and
    the others are all stupid, crazy, and cause all the trouble in the world. Just
    tell the ones who got too 'centric, and not all the others of the group who
    were nice people, to dig themselves and stop it--they're the ones who cause
    the most trouble in the world.

There's also a difference between a nice person of sincere belief or non-
    belief outlook and something like Popoff with the transmitter in his ear--the
    way Von Daniken, Geller, JWs leaders, etc., make a phony show of exclusiveness
    for personal gain, especially if anyone can be hurt ror killed. About any time
    you have a group, some will cook stuff up to sell the group something extra-
    ordinary that they want to hear. Don't pick on the victims--focus on the trans-
    mitter and show people. You won't have to spend a second making a cranky, in-
    tolerant, 'centric editorial.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I think it is best to be tolerant and respectful...unless faced with intolerance and coercion. Then run out the cannons and fire at will. LeavingWT's example above is excellent.

"Let us reason together, says the Lord"

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit