Serious Omissions in New Watchtower Book

by metatron 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

WT Misquotes Keiiti Aki and Quotes Itself.

http://www.docbob.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=47

Here is a classic piece of Watchtower quoting. It is from the 5/15/83 Watchtower article "Earthquakes-A Sign of the End?" For years the Watchtower Society has tried to prove that part of the fulfillment of the 'sign' of the end of this system given by Jesus in Matthew, chapter 23 is an increased occurance of earthquakes. Since the Watchtower now teaches that the 'time of the end' began in 1914, it has tried to show increased frequency and strength of earthquakes. On page 6 the Watchtower says:

Some seismologists believe that the earth is now in an active earthquake period. For example, Professor Keiiti Aki of the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology speaks of "the apparent surge in intensity and frequency of major earthquakes during the last one hundred years," though stating that the period from 1500 through 1700 was as active. In the Italian journal Il Piccolo, of October 8, 1978, Geo Malagoli observed: "Our generation lives in a dangerous period of high seismic activity, as statistics show. In fact, during a period of 1,059 years (from 856 to 1914) reliable sources list only 24 major earthquakes causing 1,973,000 deaths. However, [in] recent disasters, we find that 1,600,000 persons have died in only 63 years, as a result of 43 earthquakes which occurred from 1915 to 1978. This dramatic increase further goes to emphasize another accepted fact-our generation is an unfortunate one in many ways."

First of all, let's look at the Watchtower's quoting Keiiti Aki. The Watchtower says Aki " speaks of 'the apparent surge in intensity and frequency of major earthquakes during the last one hundred years,' though stating that the period from 1500 through 1700 was as active." This is a quote from a letter from Aki to the Watchtower Society dated 30 September, 1982. Here is the entire text of the letter:

This is in response to your inquiry about earthquakes [EC:ESH September 24, 1982]. The apparent surge in intensity and frequency of major earthquakes during the last one hundred years is, in all probability, due to the improved recording of earthquakes and the increased vulnerability of human society to earthquake damage. The main reason is the well established plate tectonics which indicates a very steady fault motion over the past many millions of years. A measure of earthquake strength more objective than casualty is the Richter scale. It is in general difficult to assign the Richter scale to earthquakes more than 100 years ago. An attempt, however, has been made in China, where historical records are kept in better shape than in other regions. Enclosed figures shows the Richter scale (M) of earthquakes in China during the periond of about 2000 years. The past 100 years are certainly active, but there have been periods as active as that, for example, from 1500 to 1700.

In a letter to Wolfgang Hebst and Carl Olof Jonsson dated 5 September 1985, Aki says the following (body of letter quoted in its entirety):

Thank you for your inquiry re my statement in Jehovah's Witnesses. I feel strongly that the seismicity has been stationary for thousands of years. I was trying to convince Jehovah's Witnesses about the stationarity of seismicity using the data obtained in China for the period of 1500 to 1700, but they put only weak emphasis on the published statement. Excellent geological evidence for the stationarity has been obtained by Prof. Kerry Sieh of Caltech, for the San Andreas fault.

So the Watchtower quoted Aki out of context in order to support a position exactly opposite to Aki's. Copies of Professor Aki?s letters can be found in Appendix A of ?The Sign of the Last Days ? When?? by Carl Olof Jonsson and Wolfgang Herbst. Now, on to the Watchtower's quote from the Italian magazine "Il Piccolo" of October 8, 1978. Again, here is how the Watchtower quotes Geo Malagoli of "Il Piccolo."

"Our generation lives in a dangerous period of high seismic activity, as statistics show. In fact, during a period of 1,059 years (from 856 to 1914) reliable sources list only 24 major earthquakes causing 1,973,000 deaths. However, [in] recent disasters, we find that 1,600,000 persons have died in only 63 years, as a result of 43 earthquakes which occurred from 1915 to 1978. This dramatic increase further goes to emphasize another accepted fact-our generation is an unfortunate one in many ways."

Now, take a look at an excerpt from the 2/22/1977 issue of Awake!

Interestingly, for a period of 1,059 years (856 to 1914 C.E.), reliable sources list only 24 major earthquakes, with 1,972,952 fatalities. But compare that with the accompanying partial list citing 43 instances of earthquakes, in which 1,579,209 persons died during just the 62 years from 1915 to 1976 C.E.

The 5/15/83 Watchtower is quoting the 10/8/78 Il Piccolo which is quoting the 2/22/77 Awake!

Bangalore

• JWoods
    JWoods

Another extremely weak and misleading argument was made in the old blue Evolution Book about Carbon Dating...much is done to disparage the pinpoint accuracy of C14 dating (when science itself presents this as an estimation tool). The implication is hinted at that somehow carbon dating was used by science as an evolutionary proof, when in fact is used for archeological date estimates for organic objects up to perhaps at most 20-30 thousand years but usually less. It is completely non-sequiter when dealing with questions of evolutionary change over millenia.

Thus - carbon dating has absolutely NOTHING to do with fossil remains or their ages. Inaccuracies in carbon dating are inherent in the system and well known to science - thus usually in archeological analysis it is used as only one tool (as is pottery dating, etc.) to estimate the age of artifacts.

And yet C14 clock gets trashed thorougly (in a way calculated to confuse the uneducated witnesses) in the Evolution book as a straw-man argument in their quest for creationism and the 49,000 year old earth.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Thanks for posting that about alternative service, Yesidid.

I understand that cognitive dissonance is involved, and that it is a dangerous mind control cult, but GB politics to get a majority and waiting for someone to pass away shows that it is not Jehovah guiding decisions. Can't they fu*&ing see that?

I think you answered your own question when you stated that you understood they're "a dangerous mind control cult".

Anything goes, at the cost of many lives, in this cult.

There needs to be another 'Ray Franz' incident. That would be spectacular.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I believe that any reform that may come about will be due to cynical self-preservation, not an honest reform like Ray Franz wanted to make.

Example number one - shifting toward blood fractions. Nothing remotely "scriptural" or even "reasonable" about it - but it does nicely skirt the hardline stand on blood transfusion.

Thus it avoids the possible liability which might come if some followers suffer death after following their advice and refusing transfusions.

Same deal with the NGO UN thing - practical reasons to do it. Honest reform would be to just way "we were WRONG about the UN somehow being the fulfillment of an obscure hellenistic and symbolical prophecy that nobody really understands". Easier to just try to sneak by it in secret.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

I think it is safe to say that the "older men" were using this book to focus on the importance of obediance. It seems as if they didn't want to disect these particular scriptures(Acts 15: 22-29) but rather to point out how "harmony and belief of action prevail among Jehovah's Witnesses today.....Principally, the unity results from the clear and decisive direction that Jesus Christ provides through the faithful and discreet slave." (aka governing body)

This Book is not about doctrine. It is about Obediance. Total reliance on the interpretation of scripture as seen by the Governing Body.

This book will be studied in the bookstudy I'm sure. It is exactly what the "sheep" need. Anyone who is beginning to think on their own will be Rebrainwashed into thinking that they are powerless without the supreme guidance of the GB. And while studying these passages they will disect the scripture. The question for para. 13b asks," What good was accomplished by sending a letter from the governing body?"

If I was answering as a good witness I would say " We as Jehovah's people learned how we can receive Jehovah's blessings and favor. Namely abstain from things sacrificed to idols and blood and fornication."

They can forsee how the average witness will feel when reading it because all the hints have been given and indoctrinated mindwork has already been done.

• metatron
    metatron

Twinkle toes hit the nail on the head. This new book is designed to give them emphasis on obedience to the Governing Body by referring to Acts as their authority. They waste no space in printing photos of the GB and various elders to drive the point home.

metatron

• moshe
    moshe
    Well, JW's are suffering everyday for their failure to get a good education. I hope they feel good about their situation. I am afraid they just can't see the WT deceptions.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This thread started me on an interesting little piece of internet research ...

The book "Bearing Thorough Witness...." newly released , says on p 105, in a box headed "Jehovah's Witnesses build their beliefs on the Bible"

"As amply demonstrated in the case of the early Christian congregation the history of true worship is a record of progressive spiritual enlightenment. Today too, Jehovah's people adjust their beliefs to conform to revealed truth; they do not force the Scriptures to fit their views.Impartial observers have recognized this fact. In his book "Truth In Translation" Jason David Beduhn associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University in the United States wrote that Jehovah's Witnesses approach the Bible "With a kind of innocence, and [build] their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there"

I found a site that quotes extensively from "Truth In Translation" and the site had this quotation

The Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, are more similar to the Protestant in their view that the Bible alone must be the source of truth in its every detail. So you might expect translators from this sect to labor under the Protestant Burden. But they do not for the simple reason that the Jehovah's Witness movement was and is a more radical break with the dominant Christian tradition of the previous millennium than most kinds of Protestantism. This movement has, unlike the Protestant Reformation, really sought to re-invent Christianity from scratch. Whether you regard that as a good or a bad thing, you can probably understand that it resulted in the Jehovah's Witnesses approaching the Bible with a kind of innocence, and building their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there.[*] (pp. 163 - 165)

So the exact quote is in my opinion in context . (from what we know) even if we may disagree with it. The site does comment that J W's would probably want to quote Mr Debhun "selectively" and that is certainly the case. Whist praising the NWT in many passages, he devotes a chapter to debunking the insertion of "Jehovah" into the New Testament....To my mind that is like telling a driving test candidate that he drove the best of all candidates that day because he only got one thing wrong. That one thing being a serious accident!

the site I found was

http://www.tetragrammaton.org/truthintrans.htm

The book "Truth in Translation " was discussed at length on this board about 2 years ago.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/132388/1/NWT-on-Jeopardy

• David2002
    David2002

I do not think that the "Thorough Witness" book misquoted Jason Debuhn. He states in his book that the Witnesses seek to find the truth of Christianity from the Bible only, starting, as he puts from "scratch", without bearing in mind the traditions of even the reformed Protestant movement. (see pages 162-165 of his book). It is true he disagrees with the NWT translators choice of the name Jehovah in NT passages and dedicates an appendix on that topic. However, while disagreeing he implies he understands why they included the name, which is why he calls the rendition of Kyrious as Jehovah as an interpretative translation. The fact is the Jason Debuhn generally praises the NWT as a relatively good translation, and agrees with it's renditions of some hotly disputed NT texts, including John 1:1. And the point he was trying to make on page 165 of his book, Truth In Translation, is that Witnesses based their beliefs solely on what the Bible says, not in other religious traditions. He is correct in his viewpoint, and that is the point the "Thorough Witness" book was making.

• Farkel
    Farkel

WTWizard,

Sometimes I get a little perturbed at your anger and vitriol, but at other times you write some real gems

This was one of those times.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit