To any ex JW's in Aloholic's Anonomous

by digderidoo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Jeeprube, i know the feeling. How's things now though? Did you find something that was of a benefit to you, better than AA?

What I did was identify the root cause of my drinking: feelings of total self worthlessness, and try to find healthy ways to fill that need. I'm around 18 months sober.

I still go to AA meetings every once in a while.OTWA made some wonderful points about pulling what you need from AA and leaving the rest. My brother attends AA faithfully and it really helps him. I think the biggest help AA offers is the group accountability. Being accountable to someone outside of ourself for our actions.

Way to go on your sobriety! I know how tough it is.

If you ever need any support I'm right here for you!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks for those links Blondie, they look good. Unfortunately there are no atheist/agnostics groups in my area.

I am at a serious crossroads OTWO, i currently have 15 months sobriety, and over 18 months of attending AA i seem to be going round and round in circles on step 3, think at times that i have it, just to be told that i haven't if i'm not willing to do the prayer. I have spoken to my sponsor about it, maybe it's time to find a new one as the job of a sponsor is to guide you through the stops, i feel as though he is stopping me by trying to enforce his program onto me.

Good for you jeeprube, i am probably like you in that i don't always attend the meetings, well for me it's more that i attend for a while try to work the program but have time periods where i find other ways to maintain sobriety and only then go when i need them.

• blondie
    blondie

dig, here are some website(s) for secular sobriety groups in Australia. They might be able to help.

http://sosaustralia.tripod.com/index.htm

http://www.rational.org/index.php?id=98

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks blondie but i'm not in Australia, i'm in the UK lol

Paul

• blondie
    blondie

Then use google to check for their UK sites. They have them. You know how to do that?

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

The key is to find a group in your area that you are comfortable with. Talk with the ones that are genuine in their efforts to recover - unfortunately, there are many in these groups that are putting on a show for what ever reason. After you have been to a meeting a few times you will figure out which people are genuine.

Go to different meetings. Try other 12 step programs, they all have the same basics.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

As a member who (after 23 years of continuous sobriety), went from gullible newcomer to AA lawyer to bleeding deacon and is now more agnostic than anything else, I can empathize with where you're at. The real key for me was not assuming that the "spiritual terms" all mean exactly the same thing to everyone. But the human tendency for rule-making is a strong one, and people who are terrified of dying drunk are just as dangerous as people who are terrified of dying at Armaggeddon.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. I'd like to add that, as a serious agnostic, I recognize that my "spiritual experience" is mostly the result of chemical and electrical reactions in my brain, and that these things have happened because I changed my behavior, creating new pathways for the chemical and electrical responses. Cool. I actually know how it works. But the real "how" is in changing my behavior, which, for me, starts with my attitude.

We change our minds all the time. The important thing for me is developing the very necessary ability to tell others--AA members or not--"I really appreciate your concern and the affection you're showing with the advice, but this is where my path is going right now." For example, I'm in a spot now where I'm exploring Buddhism, but most of the meetings around here have a real Christian bias (most meetings in general do...it's a failing of AA, and a great reason for more research into the treatment of alcoholism). I've cut back on meetings to do other things, and have had a great deal of concern expressed. Because I'm willing to believe that the concern is real, and that the reason people are afraid is because they're afraid of losing their own sobriety, I'm able to say, "I'm investigating some new approaches to my spiritual life. The Big Book tells us there are many approaches--I'm just checking it out."

As for Step Three, my understanding of that step has changed so much over the years. At one point, it was simply to make sure that I wasn't the only source of information for my decisions, because my thinking has historically been trapped in fear and selfishness. I did get into some trouble with "turning my will and my life over" to a sponsor--BAD BAD BAD, but I learned from it to never abdicate responsibility for my own decisions (you'd think I'd have already gotten that, thanks to the JWs, but live and learn). EDITED TO ADD: If you're not comfortable with this sponsor, change. It's not like you're married, for goodness' sake. But you might also consider that the Big Book has the option of using your own words for the Third Step "Prayer." Try that on your sponsor, and see if you can't come up with something that works for you. Remind your sponsor that it has to be your program in order to stay sober, and make it yours. The key for me has been to ask myself what each step means for me today, where I'm at now. It's the underlying principle of the step, not the letter of the law, that keeps me sober.

For me today, Step Three is mostly about understanding that I never have all the answers. Ever. But even though I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I know what not to do, and once I've eliminated all the selfish, dishonest and fear-filled options, I'm usually left with some pretty decent choices.

How do you know it works? If you don't drink, you get along better with other people, and you can stand to be around yourself, it's working. And so far, it's working for me. Hang in there, digeridoo.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Then use google to check for their UK sites. They have them. You know how to do that?

Of course i do Blondie, your post sounds a little frustrated. I have googled for uk sites since my time in AA, i do use one secular site in particular, but as for face to face there is nothing other than AA in my city, with the exception of a place called Aquarius who are not a very good service, i did try them briefly, they advocate moderation anyhow.

The medical field in my area adopt a learned behaviour model when it comes to alcoholism. They will not use the word alcoholism, but prefer alcohol dependent, they do not adopt the disease model. With a learned behaviour model, the approach is to unlearn your behaviour therefore safe drinking becomes possible.

So you see in my area/city AA is the only option, the other option is the net for forums, etc which i do use and have been one of the tools in my box.

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks Mad Dawg for your advice, maybe another home group would be the answer.

The key for me has been to ask myself what each step means for me today, where I'm at now. It's the underlying principle of the step, not the letter of the law, that keeps me sober.

I can see how the meaning of the steps changes Jankyn, that's a good point.

How do you know it works? If you don't drink, you get along better with other people, and you can stand to be around yourself, it's working. And so far, it's working for me. Hang in there, digeridoo.

Sounds about right, thanks.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit