What's the best thing about no longer being a JW?

by BurnTheShips 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I was thinking about how life has improved since leaving 3 years ago.

What has changed for you? What's the best thing about no longer being a JW?

BTS

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

getting remarried and having a wonderful family, If someone could tell me how to post pics I would

• brinjen
    brinjen

The freedom to be me and knowing my friends take me just as I am... no strings attached. That's priceless.

• dinah
    dinah

The best part is being free from the fear and guilt that I'm not selling enough magazines good enough for God. I enjoy sleeping late on Saturdays, buying Christmas and birthday presents for my kids, being closer to family.

It's also nice not to have to roll my eyes everytime I hear something stupid from the podium.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Being free from the Governing Body's religious dogmas and having friends who are unconditional in their love and respect.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What's the best thing about no longer being a JW?

Actually being able to think.

Farkel

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I haven't been to a boasting session since the REJECT Jesus Party in 2005, and I don't worry about getting out of work in time to make it to the Kingdumb Hell or staying up late or getting up early to make a boasting session.

I haven't done field circus since June 2005 (which I didn't even bother to report). No more worrying about racing to get to the Kingdumb Hell on time, getting kept out late, or what gross scene waits for me once I get into the door (such as a guy spitting blood into a mayonnaise jar, a frog baby to hold, or a pigpen that stinks).

No more worrying about what to do when the Christmas songs start. Or having to deny that the sun-worship decorations look attractive. In fact, I have them around--and I have a few mini discs of Christmas music to listen to instead of having to dread them.

I can listen to "bad" songs without worrying about what the hounders think of them. Even gun shots, swearing, drugs--it matters not.

Not sitting in a hot arena for a Grand Boasting Session, or having to worry about where it is located this year or having to come up with the money to waste on motel rooms (or the mad dash to call them early in January only to have all the rooms booked, and getting one on the first try in mid April).

The Ouija board no longer bothers me--I have one in my apartment myself, without any adverse effects.

My closet is clear of excess crap suits (specifically, ones that were given to me that were used up or that were so ugly that the "sisters" did not want to be anywhere near me once they have seen me in it). I have maybe six suits left, and only the best ties were kept. This gives me much more room to store worldly clothing. Additionally, the Tower of Babel of washtowels and asleeps is gone.

• anewme
    anewme

One of the instant rewards of quitting the KH is not having to listen to dull boring poor speakers anymore, janitors in suits telling me how to live and what to value and how to spend my time and what to wear, constantly telling me I am a sinner and worth nothing, and a slave whose only hope is to serve God by preaching their brand of salvation and "maybe" just maybe I will be saved by Him when all hell (His Fury) brakes loose.

That was an instant reward and benefit.

The later rewards that came years after were an increase in self esteem, increase in self-confidence (because I developed my own thinking ability and decision making ability), better health and more money, (gee I even bought a house!) time for hobbies and pets and Sunday is now our family day!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The freedom to think, do and be as we wish. To explore and come to our own conclusions.

To actually be able to chase a dream of our own, instead of something forcibly implanted in our hearts and minds.

To choose our friends based on our own criteria--not the governing body's.

No more mental and spiritual totalitarianism.

Real integrity. As a Witness, I did things a certain way because of the hammer over my head. How did we know if we had integrity within ourselves?

As a born in Jehovahbot, I couldn't. It was always the threat of some sort of repercussion that was the first line of defense to keeping me in line.

Real morality. There can be no morality without the freedom to choose.

These things are extremely valuable.

BTS

• Priest73
    Priest73
    You can sleep with anyone you want without feeling "bad" and "cheap".

You had me at "You can sleep with anyone you want without feeling "bad" and "cheap"."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit