Planned Ignoring

by rebel8 7 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

This technique is used by mental health professionals and teachers. Its basis is behavioral science--people do things because they get a reward of some kind (attention, etc.). Remove the reward and the behavior will extinguish.

Based on the principle of extinction, planned ignoring is very effective in reducing
    relatively minor disruptive behaviors, especially when the student is being
    reinforced for other appropriate classroom behaviors.

Planned ignoring involves removing attention contingent on the student's display of a
    behavior. The underlying reason why this procedure works is that attention has been
    serving as a reinforcer for the student's display of the behavior. Removing the
    reinforcer should result in a decrease in the disruptive behavior.

It is very common for teachers to provide students who have been disruptive
    with extra attention in the form of "lectures", scolding, and reprimands
    following their display of the disruptive behaviors. Unfortunately, many
    students appear to like the added attention, even though it was the teacher's
    intent that the attention be punitive. It is common for teachers during school
    visits to report that they have a student who actually appears to like to be
    yelled at. Upon observing the student in the class, it becomes apparent that
    the student (one of many) is being disruptive to get the added attention.

Initially, after implementing planned ignoring, the student may
    actually show a brief increase in the behavior. This is called a
    burst. The teacher must be ready to continue to ignore the
    disruptive behavior .

During the burst, the student may also show greater diversity of inappropriate
    behaviors and again, the teacher must be ready to ignore these behaviors. If the
    teacher provides attention to the student at this point in time, the students display of
    the disruptive behaviors may actually worsen.

Planned ignoring is most effective when the student is also concurrently receiving
    reinforcement for an alternative behavior. Thus, it would be prudent for a teacher
    to choose what appropriate behaviors could be reinforced and based upon a FBA,
    could take the place of the disruptive behavior prior to implementing the program.

• villabolo
    villabolo

bttt

• rebel8
  • John Doe
    John Doe

My version of planned ignoring would be locking the twerps in a sound proof room with no light for the rest of the day.

• beksbks
    beksbks

So disfellowshipping is a very effective tool?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    So disfellowshipping is a very effective tool?

Why do you think cults use it?

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

I took this to be in reference to ignoring the folks who habitually attempt to hijack threads. I have often hoped to find threads where these hijacking attempts could be ignored. In one recent thread this almost occurred, but then someone began answering and then it seemed everyone had to join in and the thread went to hell. I would really like to see a concerted effort to ignore these folks. There have been really good threads that have gone south and it would be so great if everyone could just ignore those folks and not be baited. Of course, if this is not what you were referring to, rebel8, I myself have hijacked a thread. Damn.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

I get it---it's like what I have been doing to my two JW sisters...since they are supposed to be shunning me, and they don't always do that, so we can eat, laugh, play and even have fun together. But they both go through spells when they crash down on me and give me that ol' "Come back to Jehovah" stuff, and when I refuse, they start shunning me again. Viscious cycle. Both are miserble. So as of late, I have been dishing out what they dish out to me, and every time one of them starts to soften up, I remind them sternly that they can be DF'd for so much as even talking to me and especially if we discuss spiritual matters! Lots Shun Fun!

Ok I am so happy!

I actually like it this way, and will keep on dishing out what they do to me. Works great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit