1995 Generation change - Awake! Masthead change

by SuspiciousMinds 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I'm surprised this is news to some of you, i thought this was all standard stuff for us apostatites

• Edington
    Edington

I do not recall at the time, there being anything in the magazines 'heralding' the new light when the Awake masthead changed.

I believe it was just sneakily changed, kind of underhanded.

You would've thought something of this magnitude would have warranted at least a mention in the body of the publication for the change.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I think it was mentioned in the magazine, i seem to recall it being discussed, & i was only very young as well, so the fact i remember it shows it must have been quite an issue for everyone else.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was changed in a Nov WT study article

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Thank you especially to Black Sheep for the scans. It makes me mad that the WT study article where the change was made was done so in a vague, drawn-out explanation. Most JWs at the time probably just assumed this was too deep for them to fully understand, they were just pleased that "new light" was a sign of them having God's direction. Heck, most probably didn't understand the WTS interpretation of Matt 24:34 just as most today have no clue. If the wording in the WT study article was as clear as this statement in the Awake!, I'm sure more people would have noticed.

I was too young in 1995 to understand the change, but I don't remember any one making an issue of it, even my super dub parents.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My father didn't understand it seven years later.

If he ever worked it out, he hasn't had the balls to own up to me.

I mentioned it to my mother the other day, when she threw me the ball. Talk about brain dead. She had no idea what I was talking about, but whatever I was talking about, she was grateful to Jebobo for the new light, scuse me while I grab a barf bag.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Then Mum siad they had new light about the generation at the Arsembly. I should have been there.

"That was from Feb 2008, didn't you mark your WT? ..... and anyway, that was recycled old light from back in Rutherford's day."

I did manage to get the point across that the light had got darker. She admitted it. Amazing. I was stoked.

So what effect did it have????

Yep ............ ZERO.

She was grateful to Jebobo for the new light.

• undercover
    undercover
    I'm surprised this is news to some of you, i thought this was all standard stuff for us apostatites

That's why these sites are so important, IMHO.

As people start to question the WTS, and they get the gumption up to search the Internet, they start to learn all sorts of stuff. What's old news to some of us is earth shattering information to someone who just left or is considering their options.

It's also a refresher course for some of us who have been out of the cult awhile and have forgotten more lies and deceit by the WTS than "newbies" have discovered.

• moshe
    moshe

I went round and round with my JW wife over this 1914 generation thing from 1987-89. ( 1988 was the year I quit JW's) Also the non-decline in numbers for the anointed remnant. In September of 1989 she had her divorce from me, so no more discussions after that. She never mentioned these changes in 1995 to me, but I knew about it. I also don't think it was a coincidence that it was about that time that she quit going to the KH meetings started dating worldly men and faded away, until by 2000 she admitted to my daughter that JW's did not have the "truth" after all. I am still waiting for her to tell me I was right all along.

That Awake "promise" is pretty weak as it doesn't even promise everlasting life, just a better life. Interestingly, if we compare our life to what existed 2000 years ago, then that promised peace and security has already happened.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

It seems to me that if God made (and abandoned) this "promise" then he is a LIAR. His word is without value and he is not worthy of our trust or devotion.

It also occurs to me that if God did not make this "promise" then those who made such a claim are FALSE PROPHETS by the definition of their God himself. (Deut 18) Their word is without value and they are not worthy of our trust or devotion.

Either way, the WT religion has lost all credibility. Its God is a liar or its leaders are false prophets. Pick your poison.

Deut 18:20-22: But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death." You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?" If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit