Background checks at churches find felons

by dinah 5 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

But nowadays not unusual. The church I attended in Indiana required background checks to volunteer in the children's ministry.

• dinah
    dinah

Most around here don't, except the people they hire to work in their day care centers.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I wonder if that number (1 in 8) would coincide with the WTS/JWs? I really like this line from the article:

"The Southern Baptist Convention wants churches to be safe," said LifeWay spokeswoman Brooklyn Noel Lowery.

To me, the corollary is: If you don't do checks, you aren't safe. Therefore, the WTS is not safe.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Also in Indiana I had to do individual back ground checks with each of my kids' schools (four in total) if I wanted to volunteer or accompany any one of my kids' on field trips. One of the things I hated about the start of the school year in Indiana. I haven't had to do that here in California...feels strange.

• Heaven
    Heaven

15 to 20 years ago my father and I had a discussion about this. He was telling me how someone in his congregation ripped off their Treasury. I told him then that the JWs were going to be targetted because they didn't do background checks.

Just recently he told me about a pedophile in his old congregation. (This guy helped them move 10 years ago and I was there...ewww! I didn't know he was a pedophile at the time but he seemed a bit weird... angrily throwing my parents stuff around... he didn't seem to want to be involved.) When my father told me about this guy the old conversation I had had with my father years previously came right back into my mind. Think of all the children who could have been saved the atrocities of abuse if only the background checks had been done.

So glad I never joined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit