Soma Food Of The Gods, And Amanitas Muscaria

by frankiespeakin 25 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What do you think? Do you think a person can use hallucinogens to get enlightened? Did humankind use them in the past with good results, for the benefit of their tribe, or community? Did some preform healings under the influence of them, Wasn't this ritualistic use a predate of any organized type of religion.

In fact the way I see it, for government to forbid its use is,, not only a gross infringement of one's civil liberties, but also shows its capitalistic, and feed the factories with productive tax paying workers mentality, which were no doubt the main reason for the government sponsored smear campaign done under the guise of public service announcements for the public's own good along with long prison sentences to reinforce the message. Well take a little peek at what the evidence points towards. Form your own opinion, without fear of some angry Deity reading your thoughts and telling you what to think.

Amanita_muscaria_3_vliegenzwammen_op_rij.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

Although generally considered poisonous, deaths are extremely rare, and it has been consumed as a food in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America after parboiling in plentiful water. However, Amanita muscaria is now primarily famed for its hallucinogenic properties with its main psychoactive constituent being the compound muscimol. It was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the peoples of Siberia and has a religious significance in these cultures. There has been much speculation on traditional use of this mushroom as an intoxicant in places other than Siberia; however, such traditions are far less well-documented. The American banker and amateur ethnomycologist R. Gordon Wasson proposed the fly agaric was in fact the Soma talked about in the ancient Rig Veda texts of India; although this theory has been refuted by anthropologists, it gained common credence when first published in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma

The common name in English is thought to have been derived from its European use as an insecticide, when sprinkled in milk. [ 1 ] The fly-killing agent is now known to be ibotenic acid. [ 2 ] An alternative derivation proposes that the term fly- refers not to insects as such but rather the delirium resulting from consumption of the fungus. This is based on the medieval belief that flies could enter a person's head and cause mental illness. [ 3 ]

Candidates that have been suggested include honey [ 9 ] , and fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) which was widely used as a brew of sorts among Siberian shamans for its hallucinogenic and entheogenic properties. Several texts like the Atharvaveda extol the medicinal properties of Soma and he is regarded as the king of medicinal herbs (and also of the Brahmana class).

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Just look at the Bible. The people that wrote it must have had some GOOOOOOD Psychoactives back then!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Do you ever think about anything other than drugs frankie?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JD,

Yes science, covers the largest part of my ram space(or is it rom) these days. Molecular, biological, genetic, & physics mainly for now it comes and goes I'm mainly in its comming phase at the moment.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

For a kickoff, there are safer hallucinogens than fly agaric.

Any hallucinogen can be used by a control freak to create the illusion of enlightenment, spirituality, power etc..

Hallucinogens that are suitable for recreation or artistic inspiration should be used for just that.

Using them for religious purposes is dangerous. There is nothing religious or spiritual going on. They are just hallucinations. That's all. Period.

Cheers

Chris

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I've heard some proponents of entheogens refer to the "Good Friday" experiment as strong evidence for using them. Supposedly a significant number of the people who took the hallucinogen were more enlightened because of it. However I think a later follow up study on the participants found no real evidence for that, but instead the typical reactions to hallucinogens (good or bad depending on the individual).

IMHO, shrooms, peyote, ayahuasca are just ways of getting lost in your head. Some people find it fun, but I really don't consider having my perceptions distorted by multicolored geometric shards, and having to routinely puke into a bucket for an entire night the path to enlightenment.

I suck and am an entire utter failure at it because I can't keep up the concentration, but drug free meditation like zen or some forms of yoga are better for bringing a sense of inner contentment and feeling more united with others (which I've been told are major aspects of enlightenment).

• Farkel
    Farkel

"Soma" was the drug featured in Aldous Huxley's 1932 "Brave New World." It was required to take and kept everyone mellow, harmless and virtually unable to resist anything the Government wanted to do.

While in Orwell's future world the Government terrorized the citizens by creating fear, Huxley's future world kept the Citizens too drugged up to cause any mischief.

Prozac, anyone?

Soma:

"All the advantages of Christianity and alcohol; none of their defects." - "Brave New World"

Farkel

• poppers
    poppers

What do you think? Do you think a person can use hallucinogens to get enlightened?

How are you defining enlightenment?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Popper,

The Enlightenment, I mean is similar the Buddhist usage, it includes science too, I think they do sharpen brain functions, repeated use seems to open up creativity, ego death being often sought after for its benefits. The effects on the sense are similar to mystical experiences that lead on toward enlightenment in the mystics.

As far as reaching Nirvana, and stopping all rebirths, and all surfering ending I have never reached that far,, but I will take it if it comes.

• poppers
    poppers

Enlightenment and mystical experiences don't necessarily go together. There is, however, a relationship between enlightenment and egolessness. Ego, or the personal identity that one identifies with, is absent in enlightenment, but it doesn't required the "death of ego". The reason for this is that ego is not real to begin with (this is basic to Buddhism); what isn't real cannot "die". Ego is a mental phenomenon based on thought and what you are is not thought/mind-based, so enlightenment is the "seeing"/realization of what one is in reality - that reality precludes anything in the mind.

So, my answer to your question would be that if hallucinogens dissolve the attachment to the ego sense then they would be useful in getting a "taste" of enlightenment. But for enlightenment to be realized on a permanent basis there must be the "seeing" of what one is beyond the ego and then an abiding in/as that. The danger, of course, is that mystical experiences resulting from their use can easily create an attachment to them by the very thing that gets in the way of enlightenment, the illusory ego that is identified with. Mystical experience can also become an end in themselves at the expense of grasping the underlying reality out of which they arise. And hallucinogens can lead one to a lot of panic and confusion when ego attachment dissolves and there is nothing to "hang one's hat on" anymore. There are probably people who are hospitalized in psychiactric wards because their ego attachment has dissolved but there hasn't been an insight/realization of what they truly are - Pure Consciousness/Pure Awareness/Being. As you know, that realization can come about by other means, means that are less "violent", such as meditation or Self-inquiry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit