Is Identification Mandatory?

by cameo-d 20 Replies latest social current

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I never have ID. I keep my drivers license in the car.

Wa State is not a stop and "let me see your papers please" State.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

"Im Bob dylan." COP: "Yeah, okay smart ass I'm Marlylin Munroe.....lets go!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

In CA you cannot be stopped without reason for ID purposes...that law was ruled invalid quite a few years ago. If the police are investigating a possible crime, you are required to identify yourself, but physical ID is not required. Obviously if you falsely ID yourself, that is a crime. If you are stopped while driving, you are required to present a valid driver's license.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    If you are without ID what are the usual consequences?
    Is it against the law not to have identification?

This may differ from state to state. You are expected to be able ID yourself in public when asked by police.

The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

I think I would have done the same thing. I don't think I'd have believed it was the real "Bob Dylan".

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Deputy Dog is right on...each state has varying laws. The totality of the circumstances for Mr. Dylan...time of day, area, etc. would be enough to be considered "suspicious activity" allowing further investigation.

As a side not, I saw Dylan in concert last year...and after that performance I would have arrested him for grand theft!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    As a side not, I saw Dylan in concert last year...and after that performance I would have arrested him for grand theft!!

Interesting, I saw him in concert last month and thought it was one of the better performances I've seen him give. It was probably my 15th or 16th Dylan concert. He did something on one song that I don't recall seeing before: took center stage with no guitar or keyboard and just sang (and played harmonica in the appropriate parts) with the band backing him. It was very impressive to see. The song was "Forgetful Heart," a number from his new album that came out this past spring.

I wonder if this will spur a new album of social commentary?

The word on the Internet these days is that he is working on a Christmas album.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:(The Republicans are attempting to pass legislation that will prevent dead people from voting more than once.)

I think that would be an excellent law. One group should not continue to be favored over another. Dead people should only be allowed to vote once like the rest of us.

Farkel

• JeffT
    JeffT

1) The cop who stopped him was 24 and apparently had no idea who Bob Dylan was. To be fair I suppose I could come face to face with the Jonas brothers not know who they are.

2) I saw Tim Curry interviewed years ago. He said one night he was walking around New York at midnight with Meatloaf and they happened by a theater that was showing Rocky Horror. On a lark they decided to go, if they could get in for free.

Doorman "Who are you?

"I'm Tim Curry, he's Meatloaf."

"That's what all you guys say."

• parakeet
    parakeet

Read Ray Bradbury's "Farhenheit 451." In a futuristic Los Angeles, people who like to take walks at night are picked up by the police and sent to treatment centers for their subversive antisocial tendencies.

This actually happened to Bradbury. The police stopped him for walking in his own neighborhood at night and questioned him like a suspect. Fortunately, he didn't have his brain zapped.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

(The Republicans are attempting to pass legislation that will prevent dead people from voting more than once.)

I think that would be an excellent law. One group should not continue to be favored over another. Dead people should only be allowed to vote once like the rest of us.

me: Hahaha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit