Remember Jehovah in the Days of Your Youth REDUX

by Farkel 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Farkel
    Farkel

"Remember Jehovah in the Days of Your Youth"

This was a list of my experiences as a young dub that I penned about a dozen years ago.

It was based on the theme in the Watchtower article referenced below that I remember reading all that many years ago.

*** w71 6/15 367 Remembering Your Creator in the Days of Your Young Manhood ***

"Remember, now, your grand Creator in the days of your young manhood."-Eccl. 12:1.

The sole purpose of the article was to convince young people to dedicate their younger years to preaching for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and practicing their policies and doctrines at all times.

Many people who become JWs as adults, and later leave, have at least some "normal" remembrances of a "traditional" childhood. This is not true with kids unfortunate enough to be born into the "truth."

Although I have tried to supress it, I do vividly remember the days of my youth. I was pretty much Witness all of my young life, and my entire childhood and most of my twenties were spent as one.

I would like to share now how I "remember the days of my youth."

In first grade, children were required to stand and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag every day. I had to stand at attention like a soldier, and utter nothing. The children teased me, and asked me why. So did my teacher. I really couldn't explain why, except it was against my religion. I missed a lot of school in first grade because of the hassles over the flag salute.

Worse than the flag salute issue, though, was the national anthem, which is played at every school-sporting event I can recall. Not standing and singing when everyone else does in a large crowd is the worst form of terror for child or adult. I was called a Communist and worse. Kids tried to pick fights with me over it, and worst of all, many of these events were mandatory at my schools. Once again, I missed a lot of school on the days these events were held.

My worst experience, though, was in my senior year in High School. I was part of a travelling assembly, which was to entertain at another school. I played the piano and was the first performer, so I was asked to sit at the piano from the very start of the assembly. I had to sit just below the stage in front, which required me have to face the entire audience (around 2,500 students and teachers). Suddenly all lights in the auditorium went out and a huge glaring spotlight was pointing to the back of the auditorium on the school honor guard. These students marched with the U.S. flag to the front of the auditorium and within 2 feet of me while the spotlight followed. The entire school was asked to rise and say the pledge of allegiance. This happened with the flag between me and the student body, while a brilliant spotlight showered me and the flag in light. I stood at rigid attention while the rest of the kids had their hands over their hearts and said the pledge. It was one of the most frightful days of my life and one I will never forget.

Every Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and all other major holidays were scheduled as some "special" field service day, so of course, I had to go. As a young child, I remember many Christmas mornings standing in the snow, knocking on doors, and seeing kids my age around the Christmas tree tearing open presents and screaming with joy, while I stood there in my pathetic little suit, carrying my pathetic little briefcase containing my pathetic little magazines waiting to give my pathetic little speech. It was pathetic.

I never attended major or minor league sporting events as a kid or as an adult, because of the terror I had over the national anthem issue. I was never allowed to participate in school sports athletics, although I set several High School records in track in my gym class. Also, I could not take advantage of the resources offered by the YMCA.

The How I Spent My Summer Vacation stories all school kids had to write were always centered around "vacation pioneering," because that is what I had to do. I could have used the same story 8 consecutive years in a row and the teachers would have been none the wiser.

Nearly 30 Christmas seasons went by without me giving or receiving one single present. The same number of years went by, and I never was sung the Happy Birthday song, nor did I receive a solitary birthday present. I never attended all the birthday parties offered by acquaintances at school, either. I never collected a bag-full of candy on Halloween. Most Halloweens, my parents would turn the lights off, and the TV down, and we would sit silently while the hordes of little children knocked on our doors and shouted trick-or-treat. On other occasions, as part of my "ministerial training," I had to answer the door and explain to all the neighbor kids and their parents that we were Jehovah's Witnesses and didn't celebrate Halloween, and then try to stuff a Watchtower or Awake covering the subject into their bags.

Then there was this Watchtower stuff about "Jehovah's Witnesses don't need holidays to be generous. They do it all year around," is a total bunch of crap from my personal exeriences. It never happened for me, and it never happened for any of my young Witness friends, either.

Then, at age 26, I realized what I had suffered all through my youth for was a fraudulent LIE.

My formative youth was gone. And my youth was perverse. All for a LIE. So much of my youth was literally squandered being a slave for a moneymaking RACKET which fraudulently operates in the name of God.

While being told I was "remembering Jehovah in the days of my youth", I was really remembering the Watchtower Literature Distribution Corporation in the days of my youth.

Ah, "the days of my youth," squandered in the service of "Jehovah." Yes, I remember them. I remember them well.

But then, what do I know? My former Corporate Bosses will no doubt call me a "whiner" and "complainer."

Farkel, Whiner and Complainer CLASS

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Hey Farkle,

You have to quit supressing your emotions, c'mon man tell us how you really feel.

j/k

Good Post.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Every Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and all other major holidays were scheduled as some "special" field service day, so of course, I had to go. As a young child, I remember many Christmas mornings standing in the snow, knocking on doors, and seeing kids my age around the Christmas tree tearing open presents and screaming with joy, while I stood there in my pathetic little suit, carrying my pathetic little briefcase containing my pathetic little magazines waiting to give my pathetic little speech. It was pathetic.

• undercover
    undercover

Ah, the flag salute and the national anthem. How we were persecuted for righteousness stupidity sake...

I can relate to your experiences because mine almost mirror yours. It made for a tough childhood at times...

As you described standing at rigid attention for the flag salute, I recalled a vivid memory that I've tried to keep suppressed...(thanks a lot for bringing it back )... I wasn't allowed to stand even for the flag salute. I was to stay seated while the rest of the class stood and recited the salute. My normal teacher accepted my weirdness and didn't make an issue. But one day we had a substitute teacher. She was old school battle axe style. She looked like the teacher in the Calvin and Hobbes comic...except meaner. Everytime I read the comic and I see her in it, I think of that teacher. When it was time for the salute, I kept my seat and the old hag stormed over and demanded that I stand and join in. I just told her I didn't have to. I didn't have any other excuse, other than it was against our religion. She didn't care. She jerked me out of that chair and tried to make me stand. I let my legs go limp, and I slumped to the floor, but she grabbed my arm and extended it up until I was upright, though all my weight was suspended through my shoulder and arm. If a teacher ever did that to my kid, there'd be hell to pay, but nothing was ever done to her, nor was I even praised by my parents for defending Jehovah's righteous principle. All I got was sent to the principle's office afterwards.

Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us neurotic...

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    Then there was this Watchtower stuff about "Jehovah's Witnesses don't need holidays to be generous. They do it all year around," is a total bunch of crap from my personal exeriences. It never happened for me, and it never happened for any of my young Witness friends, either.

I never minded that I didn't get Christmas or Birthday presents. I did hate that we told this lie. What would have been wrong with following through on it?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am glad I was not raised in the truth

• outofservice
    outofservice

Farkel as a fellow born in I know exactly what you mean. I have felt all of those same emotions. I remember one Christmas eve when I was very young I wrapped up some of my toys in tin foil and placed them under a plant we had in the living room so I could unwrap them in the morning. How pathetic was I? The only thing that that I can tell you to do is enjoy the hell out of the holidays now. We decorate for every holiday with inflatables and lights and it is a wonderful feeling. I take the kids trick or treating and just stand there with a huge grin on my face living through them. It feels so right just being normal. Enjoy your life now, but it is hard not to regret the hand we were dealt as kids.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Farkel..

Wasted young lives..You,me and every other Dub Kid..

I still had it better than you..You had the US Army to deal with..

The WBT$ put you through Hell..

......................OUTLAW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Even though I was not born in, I have had some run-ins at work. They have Christmas music going, and I couldn't even enjoy it (or the fact that it was better than the crap muzak that came up during other times of the year). On occasion, I would get stuck doing something that included a holiday or birthday cake, and would not be able to do it (good thing there was sufficient other work to do that day).

I find nothing righteous about suffering like this. You are supposed to enjoy your youth--even the Bible, which I view as a killjoy, says that. Going out in field circus all the time is not how to do that--and neither is being punished for something stupid like a flag salute, missing out on all the holiday and birthday parties, or not having any real vacation time during your time off from school. Nor is flunking tests and grades because you didn't have enough time to study for tests or do homework (or sleep) because of boasting sessions letting out late (the hounder-hounder visits are notorious for running very late--they do not give a f*** how many children flunk on their account. Or because they have to do field circus from 3 PM to bedtime (or later) all the time.

• Borgia
    Borgia

I am glad I was not raised in the US while being raised as a JW. Double Jeopardy....

Cheers

Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit