Do any [( Triniterian)] Christians on here disagree with Bishop Irenaeus ???

by wobble 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

My reason for putting [(Trinitarian)] in double brackets is because I have no interest in the WT version of theology or their silly view of the "trinity" doctrine.

My question stems from reading some of Bishop Irenaeus's writings. he seems there to me to present a cogent and scripturally acceptable view of the divinity of Jesus Christ. do you guys (Chalam et. al agree?)

It then follows from this that if his understanding is O.K, if perhaps not as complete as those of us who have the benefit of the succeding centuries, and their biblical scholarship,that really anybody, or religious group,who claims to accept "The Bible" must accept his theology,as he was instrumental in establishing the bible canon as we have it,especially the four Gospels.

He was particularly vigilant in opposing what he saw to be heresy,the gnostic view of things,for instance,so if we accept his Cannon,surely we must accept,at least broadly, his theology ?

So ,how can JW's/WT oppose his theology,and yet accept his view of what is Canonical,which obviously supports his theology?

Surely the Dubs need to come up with some new scrolls that support their view,not try and twist the ones that the early church fathers used,all of whom agreed that Christ was divine in the fullest sense ?

Love

Wobble

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You might wish to be a little more specific, since Irenaeus wrote a quite a lot and there are probably a number of issues on which some of your "[(Trinitarian)] Christians" would not agree with his "theology"... (e.g. apostolic succession, mariology, incarnation rather than crucifixion/resurrection being the essential saving act, Jesus dying as a relatively old man and thus "recapitulating" the whole human experience, and so on). Otoh if you intend to make an argument from authority (maybe it's not your intention, but it sounds like it somehow) picking and choosing within Irenaeus' thinking may be difficult...

• glenster
    glenster

Basically, Jesus as God's wisdom personified, not created Michael, and the holy
    spirit personal, not impersonal?:

"The Church, though dispersed throughout the whole world, even to the ends of
    the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith:

...one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and
    all things that are in them;

and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salva-
    tion;

and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations
    of God, and the advents, and the birth from a virgin, and the passion, and the
    resurrection from the dead, and the ascension into heaven in the flesh of the
    beloved Christ Jesus, our Lord, and His manifestation from heaven in the glory
    of the Father ‘to gather all things in one,' and to raise up anew all flesh of
    the whole human race,

in order that to Christ Jesus, our Lord, and God, and Savior, and King, ac-
    cording to the will of the invisible Father, ‘every knee should bow, of things
    in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth, and that every
    tongue should confess; to him, and that He should execute just judgment towards
    all...'"
    ("Against Heresies," X.l)

"God formed man...it was not angels, therefore, who made us...neither had an-
    gels power to make an image of God."
    (Against Heresies," book IV, chap.20, section 1)

There are other quotes of his about it a little more than halfway down the
    page at the next link:
    http://gtw6437.tripod.com/id23.html

I don't think Irenaeus meant Jesus lived to be an old man literally (sorry for
    the contentiousness of some of the next article):
    http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/a38.htm

I think he referred to the greater credibility of the agreement of the line of
    bishops which the Gnostics didn't have the like of, but apostolic succession was
    made a doctrine later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irenaeus

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for your answers Narkissos and Glenster,you both have led me to do more research.

Basically I just find it annoying that dumb Dubs will label the "Bish". (Irenaeus) as Apostate,when they use the very same scriptures as him and come to very different answers,and then assume their answers are correct because they say so,and the Bish is in error,even though only living a short time away from the time the books were written,and having learned at the feet of those who were even closer to the Authors.

The JW's are using an Apostate Bible according to them.

Love

Wobble

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

wobble,

The WT seems to have nuanced its view of Irenaeus (as it did with other early Church Fathers), with a relatively elogious article in the 7/15 1990 issue of The Watchtower (with selective quotes of course, but not necessarily more selective than those by later "orthodox" apologists -- especially Protestants).

Of course the best thing anyone interested in Irenaeus' thinking can do is to read his works in context: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.toc.html

• Chalam
    Chalam

Wazzup Wobble?

My question stems from reading some of Bishop Irenaeus's writings. he seems there to me to present a cogent and scripturally acceptable view of the divinity of Jesus Christ. do you guys (Chalam et. al agree?)

I dunno, I never heard of the dude but I juts had a quick look at the basics Irenaeus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me, I principally read the bible and let the Holy Spirit do His work. What could be better than God being your personal teacher?!

Also, how someone views Jesus is paramount 1 John 5:12 John 14:6 1 Peter 2:6

All the best,

Stephen

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Funny you should ask. I just finished a year long project on the Trinity doctrine and the JWs, 60,000 words, exhaustive citations. Have multiple degrees for that's worth.

If you are interested please take a look.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index.html

• wobble
    wobble

Thank You Jonathan Dough !

I have saved your site under my favourites to read later,I am sure it will help me,and other ex-Dubs tremendously !

thanks for your hard work,and all the best for the future,

Love

Wobble

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My advice is keep reading..... read some Polycarp and other early christian writtings that state clearly that Jesus was 1."not equal to his father" 2."Created by his Father fron non existence." It was a slow change as many scholars {non Witness} fully agree.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Witness 007 wrote: My advice is keep reading..... read some Polycarp and other early christian writtings that state clearly that Jesus was 1."not equal to his father" 2."Created by his Father fron non existence." It was a slow change as many scholars {non Witness} fully agree.

Reply:

What the JWs don't disclose is that much of what those early theologians wrote and thought did not make it into official Trinitarian Doctrine, so it is immaterial for proving the Trinity wrong. And the fact that the doctrine of the Trinity took years to flesh out and understand doesn't carry any weight either. It took a long time for the early Jewish Christians to understand that one need not be a practicing Jew to be saved. The JWs themselves took 1,900 years to come up with their false teachings, and those are still evolving. The following from my web site explains this:

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-3.html#12

Not all Trinitarian theology was assimilated into the doctrine of the Trinity; much was left out. The reformed Protestant churches have assimilated the Catholic church's doctrine of the Trinity with very minor alterations.

To further erode the Trinity doctrine, the Jehovah's Witnesses argue that even early church Fathers, the 2d, 3rd and 4th century theologians, did not teach the Trinity or the true divinity of Christ; that they did not regard Father, Son and Holy Spirit as co-equal, not as one numerical essence, not as three in one (Should You Believe, Chapter 2). The problem is that the Jehovah's Witnesses are focused on the chaff, not the wheat, emphasizing what was never assimilated by the church into the Trinity doctrine rather than what was officially sanctioned over the centuries.

Because much of what the early thinkers thought and wrote was not accepted or ratified, those views carry little weight in rejecting the Trinity. They are useful, however, in terms of historical reflection and academic observation of evolving thought processes:

As elemental Trinitarianism of the NT period has to be distinguished carefully from the gradually emerging Trinitarian dogma, so must Trinitarian dogma (doctrine in the strictest sense) be distinguished carefully from Trinitarian theology. The dogma in its preparatory stages had been merely theology: efforts on the part of individuals and schools to interpret and understand revealed mystery. Then, as certain of these efforts became assimilated through authoritative decision into the teaching of the Church, some of what had heretofore been theology was from now on also dogma of faith. But note some; for much else - in Tertullian and Origen, Athanasius and the Cappadocians, Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas - would never receive such ratification, never attain such clear-cut status as Christian doctrine. (Catholic Encyclopedia, 302)

Therefore, even if Justin Martyr said the prehuman Jesus was inferior to God, a created angel and is other than God (Should You Believe, Chapter 4), or Irenaeus believed the prehuman Jesus was inferior to and had an existence separate from God who was not his equal, or Clement of Alexandria called Jesus a creature not equal to God, or Tertullian taught that the Father is greater than the son (ibid.), or Hippolytus said that God had nothing of equal age with him - even if those ancients believed all of this, those opinions do not constitute the Trinity doctrine but only deep musings of early theologians. Accordingly, their relevance lies more with showing what the official doctrine does not stand for, not what the Trinity doctrine teaches.

Just to clarify one thing, though the Jehovah's Witnesses claim that Justin Martyr believed, wrongly as it turned out, that the Word “is no less than something numerically other in relation to the Father …” (Catholic Encyclopedia, 296), the Jehovah's Witnesses failed to mention that in those very same passages he also stated that neither Word nor Spirit, the former more explicitly, are to be separated from the Father, from the being of the Godhead, since both Word and Spirit are God (ibid.).

Lastly, “Although a few distinct doctrinal changes were eventually made, the Trinitarian concept emerged relatively unchanged. “The Reformers,” states the New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, “stood upon the ground of the Church catholic” in this matter. This meant, for many of the new-born Protestant groups, not only continued adherence to (and propagation of) the form of Trinitarianism advanced by the Athanasian Creed, but also - in many cases - actual approval and acceptance of the Catholic-spawned Creed itself” (Concepts, 14; in accord see the New Bible Dictionary, 1299-1300).

JD II

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit