What is EVIL? Who Defines?

by D wiltshire 56 Replies latest jw friends

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

What is EVIL?
    Who defines what is truly Evil?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • RickA
    RickA

SIN

Lu 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
    Ga 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

• larc
    larc

DW,

Why don't you tell us what you think evil is, so we have some basis of comparison. I think the subject of evil is a very complex one, as discussed on another thread regarding whether JW elders were evil or not.

RickA,

How is sin different from evil in your opinion. Are they interchangable words or do they mean the something different? Are some sins, simply a matter of inperfection, which we all share? Is evil something beyond our natural state of imperfection? What do you think?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

No Thanks I leave it to those more knowledgeable then my self.
    I will chime in from time to time though.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • RickA
    RickA
    How is sin different from evil in your opinion. Are they interchangable words or do they mean the something different? Are some sins, simply a matter of inperfection, which we all share? Is evil something beyond our natural state of imperfection? What do you think?

Sin is evil & Evil is Sin. Flesh is sin, flesh being imperfect.

Ro 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
    16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
    17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
    18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

The question is are we forgiven for the sin we do so we are not under the law. For no man can stand before the throne of God without being forgiven.

Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

• larc
    larc

RickA,

Let me see if I got this right. Sin and evil are the same, and we all sin because we are made of flesh. Now, are some sins so bad that they can't be forgiven, and other sins so minor that they are over looked by God? Also, I have to ask, what is considered a sin. The JWs believe that smoking is a sin. Does God believe that? The Catholics used to believe that eating meat on Friday was a sin. Did that make it a sin in God's eyes? How do we determine what and what is not a sin?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Larc,

I agree with what you said:

How do we determine what and what is not a sin?
    How on earth do we determine that?

• RickA
    RickA
    Let me see if I got this right. Sin and evil are the same, and we all sin because we are made of flesh. Now, are some sins so bad that they can't be forgiven, and other sins so minor that they are over looked by God? Also, I have to ask, what is considered a sin. The JWs believe that smoking is a sin. Does God believe that? The Catholics used to believe that eating meat on Friday was a sin. Did that make it a sin in God's eyes? How do we determine what and what is not a sin?

Only one sin can't be forgiven

Mt 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

One Sin is the same as another doesn't matter if it is small or large, God will not overlook sin even if it's small.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Anything that grieves the spirit of God would be a Sin including smoking.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

What is and what is not a sin?...anything that convicts our hearts, because the laws are written there and you will know if you sin.

Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
    16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
    Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

• COMF
    COMF

What is EVIL?

e·vil (e'vil)
    adj., e·vil·er, e·vil·est.
    1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
    2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
    3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
    4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
    5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

n.
    1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
    2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to do both good and evil.
    3. An evil force, power, or personification.
    4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction: the social evils of poverty and injustice.

Who defines what is truly Evil?

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

What is?:

1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked:

And:

1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit