Jehovah's Witnesses - the religion without a past or a future

by Mickey mouse 14 Replies latest jw friends

• billie jean
    billie jean

Mickey Mouse, you talk a lot of sense you need to write a book !

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Schulz and de Vienne, in their book on Nelson Barbour, quote Stroup as saying:

"There is no unified historical record of the movement and on the whole the present-day followers are totally ignorant that the group has a history. The majority of those whom I questioned did not even know the year of its founding. Many Witnesses would like to assume that the organization, being inspired of God, never had an earthly beginning. Some actually told me that it dated back to a period before the creation of the world. Others said that the problem of the organization’s history was trivial beside such a monumental task as that in which they are now engaged."

Witness "history" as usually written is a collection of myths. The "present truth" concept entered Witness thinking via the Second Adventists, but the phrase ultimately comes from Non-Conformist and Protestant groups primarily in England. The earliest use of it in a way similar to adventists of which I am aware was by Stephen Dennison in a tract published in 1622. The actual phrase comes from Second Peter.

The best Witness history site out there is: http://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

It's run by one of the authors of the Barbour biography (lulu.com is where it's listed.). He's a Witness, but he doesn't spout nonsense when it comes to the historical articles he posts. He documents everything, and some of it must make his Witness readers squirm.

• not a captive
    not a captive

That's a piece of poetry, Outlaw. AND it's true.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Great points! I enjoyed this. Thanks.

-mentallyfree31-

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

pointless life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit