Are You Afraid of The Biblical God?Does This Fear Stunt Your Intelligence?

by frankiespeakin 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Are You Afraid of The Biblical God?

Are you afraid of a god that can read your mind. If so have you ever considered this a form of mind control? Is fear of a Deity like this directing you what to think and not allowing you to think anything negative about his behavior, lest you bare his wrath. It is hard for many to think out side the box, especially when you have been indoctrinated from birth in belief in this possessive, ill tempered wrathful god who needs to be appeased with human sacrifice to venture out of the box mentally that they are in.

Does This Fear Stunt Your Intelligence?

Fears of all sorts can stunt intelligence, just as fear of this Deity has for centuries.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Young children often believe that their parents can read their minds. I think some people extend that belief into adulthood, except that their god takes the place of their parents. I don't know if this has anything to do with intelligence.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Maybe scarier to some is the idea that nobody can read their mind?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

You mean the fright of being all alone in there(one's head). I thought of that. My consolation for me is since 'me' is all imaginary too, we probably have lots of company, in a Jungian sense of the term archetypes.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

No I am not. Why should I be? He came down to this world and laid down his life for me. Why should I be afraid of that?

Yiz

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yiz,

But what about the destrutive acts of God as brought out in the bible, do you feel free to just admit the cruelty of God? or are you inclined to look the other way and not think about it too much, because this deity reads minds and may get angry at you? Has that impulse ever stop your thoughts from even going down that path.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

As a child of about 6 I finally figured out there was no tooth fairy, no easter bunny, and no santa clause, so I told my younger sister there was no such thing,,she started crying to my mother and I was told to just let her believe in it till she got older. A few years later and I was of the opinion that god wasn't real either and just a fairy tale told to kids to keep them out of trouble when the parents weren't looking so they scared them with god is watching. Of course now I know it is much more complicated than that. Wish I kept on that path but sadly the JWs capitalized on some residual mythological indoctrination and i was hooked, and remained in that droning thought loop for 29 years.

I feel better now, that I have broken out of some of those thought loops. I am the master of my thoughts with no Deity to spook me in one direction or another.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

You might as well tell all the Judges to step down, the cops to hang up their badges and close all the jails and prisons. Get rid of all the laws so you won't be spooked in one direction or another.

• The Berean
    The Berean

To me, your question is "spot on" as to why so may have difficulty permanently severing themselves from an organization that doesn't work for them! It is that phantom "Beautiful Mind" character looking over their shoulder which haunts some for a lifetime that your insight reminds me of. Former JWs are often confused and angry because they can not shake the shackles of a "gotcha" mentality which exists only within their mind.

The affect of such fear not only stunts and retatrds growth but creates difficulty with everyday relationships since the afflicted subconsciously look at everyone as they believe God would want them to ...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

God fearing to me never made any sense.

God is Love, Love is NOT fear, or hatred or anger, Love is nothing negative.

As I began to understand the Gift of Grace I believe EVEN LESS in fearing God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit