Why would the WTS have left out the statement on where blood fractions come from in the Keep Yourself Book?

by insearchoftruth 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

The information at the bottom of this post is from the Keep Yourself in God's Love book, the appendix, and is a bit of the discussion of fractions......what I find interesting is this book uses a lot of the information from the November 2006 Our Kingdom Ministry article on blood fractions, but omits the statement:

"Of course many fractions are derived from blood that has been donated for medical purposes."

This seems to be more than just an oversite. I asked my wife where fractions come from and she referred to Keep Yourself in Gods Love book, so she said she really did not know (which I think was acting dumb for the sake of not having to answer the question), but if this omitted statement were in the Keep Yourself book, there would be no doubt.

By leaving this statement out, it would be more palatable for a JW to be willing to accept a fraction since it is not written before them in WTS literature that the fractions are from blood that was not "poured out on the ground"......

Blood Fractions
    and Surgical Procedures
    Blood fractions. Fractions are derived from the four primary blood
    components-red cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma. For example, red cells
    contain the protein hemoglobin. Products developed from human or animal
    hemoglobin have been used to treat patients who have acute anemia or massive
    blood loss.
    Plasma-which is 90 percent water-carries scores of hormones, inorganic salts,
    enzymes, and nutrients, including minerals and sugar. Plasma also carries clotting
    factors, antibodies to fight disease, and such proteins as albumin. If someone is
    exposed to a certain disease, doctors might prescribe injections of gamma globulin
    extracted from the plasma of people who already had immunity. White blood cells
    may be a source of interferons and interleukins, used to treat some viral infections
    and cancers.
    Should Christians accept therapies incorporating blood fractions? The Bible does not
    give specific details, so each one must make his own conscientious decision before
    God. Some would refuse all fractions, reasoning that God's Law to Israel required
    that blood removed from a creature be "[poured] out upon the ground."
    (Deuteronomy 12:22-24) Others, while refusing transfusions of whole blood or its
    major components, might accept treatments involving a fraction. They may reason
    that at some point fractions that have been extracted from blood cease to represent
    the life of the creature from which the blood was taken.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Should Christians accept therapies incorporating blood fractions? The Bible does not
    give specific details, so each one must make his own conscientious decision before
    God. Some would refuse all fractions, reasoning that God's Law to Israel required
    that blood removed from a creature be "[poured] out upon the ground."
    (Deuteronomy 12:22-24) Others, while refusing transfusions of whole blood or its
    major components, might accept treatments involving a fraction. They may reason
    that at some point fractions that have been extracted from blood cease to represent
    the life of the creature from which the blood was taken

My thoughts are because even though they say its a matter of conscience it still will get you axed to do it......

• Quandry
    Quandry

That's like eating a hamburger but not knowing where the meat comes from.

How does anyone not know where the BLOOD fractions come from?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    How does anyone not know where the BLOOD fractions come from?

I attribute it to selective stupidity or ignorance.....

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Others, while refusing transfusions of whole blood or its
    major components, might accept treatments involving a fraction.

This is why people don't know about transfusions or where fractions come from, because of selective evidence provided by the society. They're telling people transfusions are whole blood when they're not.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    They're telling people transfusions are whole blood when they're not.

Great point Tuesday........much of the writings are at a third grade comprehension level, but they are very careful and intentional about what is included and what is not, keep the writings vague enough to weasel out....

• choosing life
    choosing life

They do not use whole blood transfusions anymore. They always use fractions as they get more specific uses from each donated unit of blood this way.

I believe that nothing is left out accidentally by the writing/legal staff when it comes to sensitive issues like blood. I think they put the real info about blood fractions out once so they can say that they informed their members. No need to repeat.

Blood fractions can only come from blood. Seems obvious, but not to some dubs who are trying to make sense of the new rules from top.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Yeah, they are basically want members to think they avoid transfusions (and have them think transfusions are whole blood) but it is up to the inidividual whether they want to accept a fraction (also a transfusion but not called that in WT world). Hang onto this for awhile...slowly weaving in the disallowed components to make it seem like a small change all the while. And make it appear they always taught this- nothing new.

• steve2
    steve2

It's a fascinating modern-day example of "splitting hairs" - or in this case "fractionating blood" with the use of some parts of blood left to the individual's conscience. Arbitrary to say the least.

However, the aspect of this that I object to the most is not so much the pathetic attempt to borrow the language of science and medicine to justify an increasingly stupid stand, but the sheer hypocrisy of both the Watchtower and its followers:

Some of these "conscience" blood fractions are derived from mutiple blood-donations (i.e., it takes lots of individual blood donations to build up enough of the fraction given to just one patient). It seems to me the height of hypocrisy to be "free" to choose whether to make use of these blood-based fractions, but to refuse - on religious grounds - to donate one's blood for the same purpose!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I think they left it out because the logical conclusion drawn can be that it must be okay to donate blood, then, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit