My 2001 Top Ten List of Movies

by Seeker 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seeker
    Seeker

OK, folks, the year is almost up, and it's time for the critics to post their list of the ten best movies of the year. Since this is subjective, everyone's list is unique, and here is my list. Feel free to comment with your own selections, or even disagreements with my choices, though I'm not so much interesting in arguing the worth of a given movie as I am in seeing what the consensus for the best movies is.

I can't think of ten really great movies this year, but I can easily come up with the 5 best, in ascending order to number 1:

5. Pandaemonium
    The life of the poet's Coleridge and Wordsworth, this movie literally rocked. If you don't get poetry, see this movie and watch it come to rolicking life.

4. Ghost World
    The best depiction of teen life ever, or at least a certain type of teen. If this was (or is) you, you'll know it. This movie is so good, so right, I just love it.

3. Lord of the Rings
    I have my quibbles, but at its heart this is an honest effort at bringing a sprawling literary masterpiece to the screen, and the miracle is that it works. The kind of movie Hollywood is afraid to make anymore. I hope this movie inspires them to create epics again.

2. Memento
    Hands down the best script (it will win the Oscar for that) of the year, in a diabolically clever story that keeps you on your toes till the end...then makes you think (hard) about it for days and weeks to come.

1. Mullholland Drive
    A remarkable film, one that haunts me months after seeing it. A perfectly-described trip into the subconscious mind of one of the most fully-realized heroines I've seen on screen. A tragic, heart-rending story of life and dreams and hopes and fears. I'll never forget it, and am grateful to have seen it. Some people said that David Lynch just threw a mass of stuff on the screen and it doesn't make sense. Well, it does make sense, perfect sense, and is easily explainable, and touching to your very soul.

I also had a warm spot in my heart for:
    -Shrek
    -Monsters, Inc. ("Kitty!")
    -A.I. (it was a Kubrick-written ending that everyone blamed on Spielberg, and I would have liked to see Gigolo Joe the way Kubrick would have directed it, but this was a movie of wonders and heart)
    -Sexy Beast
    -Final Fantasy (What animation!)

This final list is of those movies I have heard such good things about that they might well make my top-ten list after I see them, but I haven't yet seen them and thus cannot say:

-A Beautiful Mind (even though the hero's story is almost a fabrication, and not very true to life)
    -Monster's Ball
    -Gosford Park
    -Black Hawk Down
    -Amelie

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Seeker for your list. I enjoyed:

K-Pax
    Memento
    Vanilla Sky
    Enemy at the Gate (2000?)

Pat

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Memento, aye. And A.I.

For the most part, though, this year was a bad one for movies.

ashi

• Seeker
    Seeker

Thanks for adding. I didn't see Enemy at the Gate, nor Vanilla Sky (though I might get around to seeing it, though I already know the story).

I agree with you about K-Pax. Most reviewers said it was written in such a way that the audience could never be sure if he was an alien or just crazy. I disagree. I think the screenplay made it crystal clear what he really was. How about you?

• Seeker
    Seeker

Yes, it was a bad year for film. I normally can come up with 10 great movies, but this year it was hard.

• patio34
    patio34

Seeker,

I thought that he was 'possessed' by an alien that was there temporarily and helped him out. But when the alien left, he was catatonic.

What do you think?

Pat

• Seeker
    Seeker

Pat,

Same explanation. It was cleary more than just ordinary mental illness. The script makes it clear there was an alien involved.

• patio34
    patio34

Well, good then. I was a little shaky on it!

Pat

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I think 'Enemy at the Gate's' was last year but I loved it!

this year

1. RAT RACE!!! no doubt. This movie was kind of a remake of Mad Mad Mad Mad world, but I think it was funnier. Had an all star cast & I'm deff buying it, I saw it 3 times in the theater.

2 Oceans Eleven was entertaining I think Brad Pitt and George Clooney really did well on screen together.

3. Spy Games, Robert Redford looks better then ever and I like spy movies. It's interesting how the end of the movie really leaves you with a lot of questions.

hmmmm trying to think what else I saw....

4. Glass House, was creepy. Very well done and that new girl who looks like Helen Hunts daughter is a great actress.

5. Deep End, was also creepy and VERY suspenseful BTW DR Covack from ER was in it so I don't really know what the movie was about hahahha.

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• sleepy
    sleepy

My No 1 goes to,
    Amelie
    No 2 Lord of the rings,
    even though its no where near as good as the book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit