"Your choice of college major may affect your religious views"

by BurnTheShips 10 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This may seem counterintuitive to some--BTS

Does the level of one's personal religious level affect what one studies in college, or even if they go to college? Does a path of study influence a person's religious development? A new study released by the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan examines the correlation between these two aspects of young people's lives.

A lot of people might expect that those who study physical sciences become the least religious during their tenure at school. The research found that this is not the case; a course of study in the sciences, such as physics or biology, leads to little change in what the authors term religiosity. The survey found that the greatest positive change—those who become more religious during their studies—are those preparing for an education degree. Those who become the least religious relative to their starting point are those majoring in the social sciences.

The authors reached this conclusion by studying religious attitudes, college attendance, and course of study for over 26,000 high school students that graduated between 1976 and 1996. Not surprisingly, the authors found that personal views often changed in the six years following high school.

Using business majors as a reference point, they graphed how religious attendance and its personal importance correlated with different fields of study. Education majors had a positive correlation with both the level of religious importance in one's life and the frequency of attendance at religious services.

For the physical sciences, including biology, the overall trend was neutral, with no major change in religiosity. Somewhat oddly, these students showed increased attendance at religious services, but a reduced sense of religious importance.

The study also tracked those individuals who did not attend college right out of high school. Those who attended religious services more regularly were more likely to attend college later. For those in the humanities and social sciences, a negative correlation was seen in both measures of religiosity.

The authors suggest that three streams of thought play a role in influencing an individual's level of religiosity: science, developmentalism (an economic concept), and postmodernism. They conclude that postmodernism—which frequently involves a mistrust of traditional interpretations—not science, is what most strongly challenges people's view of religion. However, it must be kept in mind that this study only shows a correlation between different factors, and doesn't support causal conclusions.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/08/effects-of-college-major-on-personal-religious-views.ars

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but I found studying accounting and for my CPA exam far more spiritually enlightning than anything I did in a kingdom hall.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Balancing the books is a spiritual breakthrough. Whoever came up with double entry was a higher form of life.

BTS

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

well DUH!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

My Egg and I are in the humanities field with sociology and psychology, and guess what? We are both pagan! Go figure. Egg couldn't care less about religion. We used to care, but coming out of the WTS really ruined the experience for us.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that post secondary education tends to put a notion of control into young people, an idea that they are in control of their futures, that what they do directly relates to how successful they will be and this is quite correct, to a degree of course.

Most expereicned adults realise that the only things we can truly control are the thinsg that are soley contollable by Us, toehr than that, we are dependant on many other factors of which we have littel or no control over.

Religion is, to many, the giving up of control, the admiting that we don't have all the answers and that there is something more out there, above our level of knoqing, this tends to be fly in the face of what people are led to believe in post secondary education.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This is not counter-intuitive at all from where I stand, actually it confirms an old intuition of mine... I have known many "scientific minds" among JWs and hardcore fundamentalists of all kinds. "Hard sciences" offer the main avenues of education and career for young people in the strictest Islamic regimes for instance. Reciprocally, strict and consistent religious dogma is often very appealing to lovers of formal logic and consistency.

Humanities offer a different kind of education which appeals to a different kind of intelligence, that can thrive in both theology and atheistic philosophy -- but hardly in religious or anti-religious dogmatism.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Balancing the books is a spiritual breakthrough. Whoever came up with double entry was a higher form of life.

Amem, I could not have said it better.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    The survey found that the greatest positive change—those who become more religious during their studies—

lol--there's a good one!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

There seems to be a high degree of self selection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit