Would there have been a funeral for Jesus?

by lifelong humanist 10 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
  • lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

I was just about to post the question, but it just went straight to posting! I'm sorry about that.

I'd never thought about it before, but what do you think happened with the family of the man known as Jesus - would his mother, brothers and sisters (Roman Catholics, I'm sorry but that's what the Bible says) have arranged and had a normal Jewish funeral ceremony? If, as the story says, a few days later the individual was then pronounced to be alive, what action do you think the family would have taken? Would the funeral service be annulled? Had there been life-insurance back then, would the family have had to repay it?

Just curious if any poster has ever given this any consideration?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'd never thought about it before, but what do you think happened with the family of the man known as Jesus - would his mother, brothers and sisters (Roman Catholics, I'm sorry but that's what the Bible says) have arranged and had a normal Jewish funeral ceremony?

At the time, I don't think his brothers and sisters would have bothered. (See John chapter 7) His mother and the ladies who arrived at the Tomb to anoint Him with spices may have arranged a quiet ceremony.

His male disciples, out of fear, probably wouldn't have attended.

If, as the story says, a few days later the individual was then pronounced to be alive, what action do you think the family would have taken?

I think for His mother this would have been a bittersweet occasion, knowing that He would soon be leaving for good. For His brothers, this would be a humbling experience. (Again see John chapter 7).

Would the funeral service be annulled?

Of course!

Had there been life-insurance back then, would the family have had to repay it?

I believe His family would have done the right thing.

Just curious if any poster has ever given this any consideration?

Not until you brought it to the fore.

My comments are all speculative, of course.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Essentially, there was by the standards of the day and funeral customs of that place. His body was to be prepared. The ones doing this saw the empty tomb instead.

BTS

• JWoods
    JWoods

Watchtower used to say that Jesus was given a rather expensive funeral for his day...the customs were just different than current christian norms.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Also:

Psalm 69:8 I am a stranger to my brothers,
    an alien to my own mother's sons; NIV

Psalm 69:8 My brothers shun me like a bum off the street;
    My family treats me like an unwanted guest MSG

Sylvia

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I wonder if someone has a WT quote to back JWoods up about the "rather expensive funeral"

• Lieu
    Lieu

Jesus and all his family (plus the original Apostles) were Jews and they would have followed the (traditional) Jewish practices for burial.

Actually men were prepared for burial after death by men, which is the case of Jesus. Joseph of Arimathaea and Nicodemus prepared his body and buried him in a new tomb. (John 20) By the time the ladies showed up with their spices, there was no need because he had already been properly buried according to custom.

There is no 'funeral' as they are done today. Your body was prepared, wrapped up, and placed inside a tomb. Someone would guard the body as it was being prepared and recite Psalms. Family members would tear their clothes and remain at home in mourning. That's it. (No such thing as a viewing, procession, etc.)

What's done today is some sort of pagan Nordic (Gentile) traditional practice.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

It seems like there are three things to consider:

1. What the Bible says happened to Jesus.

2. What were the Jewish customs regarding men who were killed as criminals? Were they allowed a proper burial?

3. Would the Romans have allowed Jesus body to be given a proper burial?

We really have to take with the Gospels say with at least a grain of salt; the stories differ from one to the other.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I wonder if someone has a WT quote to back JWoods up about the "rather expensive funeral"

No quote from here, but I recall that the idea was that an ordinary jew would not have been able to afford a private cave-tomb and all the fixings.

At the same time, the JWs were adamant about cautioning people against creating elaborate funerals for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit