Weird "end of world" convention advert left in my door yesterday.

by JWoods 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

It is a single 8.5 x 11 color page that opens with this drivel: HOW CAN YOU SURVIVE THE END OF THE WORLD? --- You are warmly invited to come and listen to the answer...

There is a typical watchtower picture of zombie-like survivors coming out of a dark armageddon storm cloud with lightning and thunder, and walking into a spring field of sunshine and flowers.

On the back is quoted Mark 13:37 - "Keep on the Watch". (said near 2000 years ago, but continuing on) - four bulletins: Stay Awake as Christian Families / Know that the End is Near / Imitate Jesus' Example of Watchfulness / Keep in Expectation, Watching for Jehovah's Day.

At the bottom is a generic invitation to mail in what is a little coupon for a bible study to the local BRANCH OFFICE (no local contact information is given) with entries for such places as Trinidad/Tobago, Ghana, Nigeria, Curacao, etc. Amazingly not France, Germany, Spain, Italy, or any other European nations except for Netherlands and Britain are listed.

In all my former days, I do not remember seeing something so vaguely threatening about "end of world" and yet without so much as a hint of reason why - only that one scripture "keep on the watch" - and no reference as to what you were supposed to be watching for. No stuff about end-time prophecy, war, earthquake, nukes, famine - NOTHING. Simply a picture of a thunderstorm, a threat that the end of the world MAY be coming, and that the Witnesses will tell you how to "be watchful". Not even a clear picture of what you could do to save yourself - just "be watchful".

The message must indeed by dumbed way, way, down from what it was in the old pre-1975 days!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

My wife still has her copy of this invitation sitting on the table..........once again prey on the fears of the weakminded.......then preach about how we are SO CLOSE......yuck

What got me about the invitation was the smiles on the faces of the folks walking away from an event were 6 billion plus folks will be killed......

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

They should form a new corporation: Chicken Little Since 1879 Industries.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Is this a special invite to a talk? Is it another of their worldwide leaflet dropping/keep everyone busy campaigns?

Not fair...I want one.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I could`nt survive a 3 day,WBT$ Brain Dead Assembly!!

......................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I could`nt survive a 3 day,WBT$ Brain Dead Assembly!!
    ......................LOL!!...OUTLAW

But, Outlaw - "all sessions are open to the public", "all sessions are free", and "no collection will be taken". BTW, on that illustration, did you notice the facial expressions - a few of the ones walking out of the big A at the very back seem a little concerned or worried, but only about themselves - others are waving back at them and encouraging them on. Oh happy day! World destroyed, and we are saved. So stupid - what is preventing a few worldly scums from just slipping into line? Not like they couldn't see where the storm is and where there is blue sky! BTW2, does this mean that Doppler weather radar will be able to give a limited early warning on Armageddon? Is this what they mean by "keep on the watch"? Ironically, I will bet you that most witness leaders would quickly tell you that the international watch on comets, asteroids, or other "near earth orbit" objects is a complete waste of time - Jehovah will shield old sinful earth from such events up until when he is ready, and then WHAM!!! So, "keeping on the watch" in this useful astronomical sense is just more worldly nonsense. Same with NORAD, watching for terrorist activity, etc.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Awwww... I didn't get one. LOL They know where I live. It's kinda cool to think I'm THAT House, where THAT Apostate lives. ANd how they whisper about me everytime they work my street. Hehe

"Did you hear he turned to demonisim?"

"Yeah I heard he watches The Smurfs now."

"I heard he's so evil that the Dark Side distorted his face and he looks like Emperor Palpatine. Only with aposta-fangs."

"Oh, really? Wooooooow."

"Hm. It's 10:15 and I'm already tired. Let's go to McDonalds and have coffee."

"No, I need to keep my time going. I'm Auxilary Pioneering this month."

"Don't worry. I'll put a tract on the table so we can count time."

"Oh. Okay. I need to make a quick stop at Kohl's before break too."

• fokyc
    fokyc

It should have been 6 7/8" x 9" - I think you have a forgery!

The 'Invitation' should have had both the venue and dates with times, printed under the top picture of the second side.

Mine has contact addresses for U.S.A., Britain, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy and Spain with some African ones.

The printing reference is CO-sf09-E Bi Cdf - meaning: Convention, 2009, English, Britain, Cardiff.

Why weren't you there? It was free and no collections were taken but you could pay donate with 'plastic'.

fokyc

PS If anybody wants them, I have 47 left!

• JeffT
    JeffT

PS If anybody wants them, I have 47 left!

Do you realize that means 47 people didn't get the message!? What if one of those people would have become a JW and survived if only you'd left a nice colored piece of paper in their door? Now they'll never meet Tommy and learn to play pinball...oh wait, wrong story (although the music is a lot better.)

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

There seems to be more and more of this no calling tract distribution and I think the JWS love it because it means hardly no contact with people.

The Armageddon theme on their literature works for them in so many ways, particularly so with religious minded ones such as my mother, who went to church

every Sunday with her family. Not only does Armageddon attract attention but once it gets implemented into the persons mind it becomes a catalyst for control

based off of fear. And a segment of those controls are again buying and spreading around more of the WTS. literature only to capture more weak and Innocent

minds. Armageddon was and still is their best self marketing tool and helped very much in luring people toward them,

only to be further exploited and manipulated down the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit