When were people of color 1st accepted in the Borg?

by kzjw 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• kzjw
    kzjw

It is my understanding that at one point, witnesses were taught that after Armeggedon black people would be turned white, since they were inferior. So when was this teaching rescended, and what was the progression of minorities the Borg?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't know if it was an actual teaching, (Blacks turning into whites), but the comment did reflect the comman understanding of a Person's color at that time. I think another article spoke of concentrating reading materials to persons who would have a better appreiciation for them. In otherwords, they all thought negroids couldn't read and write.

I don't ever remember a time when any particular race was excluded, but comments made in the literature about many races and ethnicities reflected the backward thinking of it's time

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good question.

I'm trying to find that out, myself.

I also have a gut feeling that the no-blood-transfusion teaching stems from WT's Negrophobia.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.freeminds.org/Doctrine/Ethics/blacks-and-the-watchtower.html

Also, Dr. Jerry Bergman has some information about this.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Congregations in the south in the US were segregated until...when? 60's? 70's?

• snowbird
    snowbird

1973, in Lower Alabama.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

Oklahoma City was still effectively segregated until well after the 1975 troubles. There was no stated rule, and maybe part of it was just geographic, but it was still segregation.

Also always puzzling to me was the rise about this time of spanish-only assemblies and congregations - where it would seem more logical to assimilate the spanish speakers into the english speaking group as a whole.

They are now doing this with the vietnamese.

• VIII
    VIII

We had 2 Black families at our KH. This was outside Chicago proper. Suburb.

I recall them coming to get togethers, weddings, etc.

We also quite a had quite a few Latinos. And a few Asians.

Being Chicago, now, this might be common, however, in the 60's and 70's I don't know how common it was. I was a kid and didn't think anything of it. My school was mixed, so it seemed normal.

I do know that only the white guys were Elders and MS.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Firpo Carr asserts that there was even a Black Branch Office in the United States.

I love history!

Sylvia

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Snowbird,

Did he say when and where this Branch Office was located? Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit