So ... Does the Devil Exist?

by The Berean 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Berean
    The Berean

With mankind's continuing quest for a source or higher power these seemingly taboo questions may be raised:

• Could a higher source of evil also exist. Can there be good without bad?
    • Is there such an influence in society either real or imagined?
    • Is wickedness contained within some individuals and not others?
    • Would such a sinister force take pleasure in woe experienced by humans
    • Or, is the Devil a fabricated excuse used to avoid responsibilty for bad choices and character defects?

Comments ...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Could a higher source of evil also exist. Can there be good without bad?

Yes, to both questions. A little amplification on the latter: We can imagine bad without having to experience it.

Is there such an influence in society either real or imagined

A real influence. Any way you cut it, human society bears the unmistakable stamp of evil.

Is wickedness contained within some individuals and not others?

Yes; some seem to have a genetic bent toward evil.

Would such a sinister force take pleasure in woe experienced by humans

Of course! Read Gen-uh-sees!

Or, is the Devil a fabricated excuse used to avoid responsibilty for bad choices and character defects?

See my answers above.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

The devil is a product of a troubled and fevered group of minds, nothing more.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

The Devil = The Christians "Emanuel Goldstein"

• Dagney
    Dagney

As a JW, I used to think, without question, there was a Devil...AKA Satan. At the time I felt he was the only reason why there was such unexplicable evil in the world. (Let alone the majority of the evil was performed by God fearing people, in the name of their God.)

If you take the power away from the Devil it was give, it ceases to exist.

What I notice with dubs, is everything is a "fight with Satan." Everything. You are tired, it's Satan, you yelled at your wife, it's Satan, you wanted the birthday cake, it's Satan.

When you remove Satan, you are just regular person having a regular day, that can be turned around in a regular way. It's very empowering.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I never had a really strong belief in Satan even when I was a dub. I still don't.

I have read some about the beliefs of gnosticism and found that interesting. Greek mythology had good gods and bad gods. Kinda reminds me of that.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Has anybody seen the Devil? Waiting waiting waiting OK I rest my case, No reliable witness can be found. Of course anybody that would testify as to actually seeing the Devil is either on medication or is not taking their medication.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Satan is just another character of mythology, like Loki, Nechesh, Hades, Tezcatlipoca, Kali, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit