IS THIS WATCHTOWER PARAGRAPH GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT?

by badboy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

This is far from life and death stuff, but here goes:

"English" rules of grammar are not known for their logic or even their own internal consistency. Thankfully, the days are long gone when writers blindly followed the rules. But, every now and then, I'll read something and think, "That doesn't sound right" and, sure enough, if I check out my old school English grammar books, it ends up being right.

Classic example: If I am writing in "speculative' mode (i.e., putting myself in your shoes) it is perfectly okay for me to use the plural form of To Be, as in the following sentence: "If I were you, I'd leave". Little wonder, we keep making grammatical mistakes - some of these rules go back centuries.

• badboy
    badboy

i didn't realize hat.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nah, elswhere missed it. The subject is 'affairs'. Affairs, subject/noun is plural, thus 'are' is the proper predicate/verb.

S

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The ancient Babylonians,for example, believed that human affairs are influenced by the stars and their movements.

Diagram the sentence. The core sentence is: Babylonians believed.

What did they believe? Did they believe that affairs ARE or affairs WERE influenced? They believed that each day was governed by the stars, which means it is present tense...are.

It's an awkward sentence, and B the X refined it nicely, "The ancient Babylonians, for example, believed that the stars and their movements influence human affairs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit