Jehovah's Witnesses "snapping" under pressure, their flawed doctrine must be sending people "over the edge"!

by the research lady 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Talk about shocking. The beheading on the Greyhound bus was horrible, but now mothers eating their own kids...and now I find out a connection (however tenuous) with JWs. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

All I wanted to add to this thread was my own experience with a mentally unstable person that used to attend our hall, albeit sporadically. It was clear she had schizophrenia, but absolutely NOTHING was done to help her, by the elders or anyone else. She was asked to sit in the downstairs hall during meetings so as not to 'disrupt' the study, probably making her feel even worse and isolated when she did attend, and it was a shame to see how her children suffered as well (through no fault of their own). Her husband didn't seem to be too concerned that she got help either. The family eventually moved, and it seemed the congregation collectively breathed a sigh of relief.

It is way beyond time that any JW elder be properly trained to spot problems and be able to take some remedial action for the sake of those closest to these people who definitely need psychiatric help. The Society is way behind on this issue (as it is with just about everything else) and it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    The JW's need to just shut up or shutdown, period.
    Down here, the churches are feeding people, clothing them, repairing the homes of the elderly, tutoring kids and taking them to amusement parks.

Very true. It always irked me when they would brag about how much more loving they were than other religions, and yet they did the least amount to help their fellow man.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Agree w/ Blondie & Purps - schizophrenia and post partum depression has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING to do with being a JW. This kind of insinuation irritates the hell out of me. It's irresponsible, sensationalistic and does absolutely nothing but confirm that "apostates" are "lying" and closes the minds and eyes of JWs who potentially could open their minds to cult they are in. IT. DOES.NOT.HELP.

Is this a harmful mind-controlling organization? Absolutely. And those of us who are quietly working in the background to help those who are exiting are well aware of it. But these kind of off-the-wall blatantly ridiculous insinuations do far more harm than good. My dearest wish would be that these sensationalist and misleading "conference calls" would stop.

There. I've said it. I've avoided these threads and putting this out here for over a year now. Flame away.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Agree w/ Blondie & Purps - schizophrenia and post partum depression has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING to do with being a JW. This kind of insinuation irritates the hell out of me. It's irresponsible, sensationalistic and does absolutely nothing but confirm that "apostates" are "lying" and closes the minds and eyes of JWs who potentially could open their minds to cult they are in. IT. DOES.NOT.HELP.

I agree that Post Partum Psychosis has nothing to do with religion.

Otoh, I think the weird, irrational, supernatural beliefs of religious fundamentalist do have something to do with the horrible outcomes that I've seen at least 6 times in Texas, just in the last 10 years or so. This is the most graphically horrible one yet, but (just working from memory here) out of 6 women, 11 children are dead because God or Satan told the women to kill them (and not coincidentally imo, it was the JW woman with whom Satan had the chat; any good JW knows that Jehovah and Jesus don't talk to humans).

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Hey snowbird - you said - """"Down here, the churches are feeding people, clothing them, repairing the homes of the elderly, tutoring kids and taking them to amusement parks. Why, last Saturday, with the temperature shooting for the hundred mark, I passed one church and they had kids handing our free bottles of ice-cold water!"""" -- I have thought about this alot. JWs are told that the best thing they can do for there neighbour is offer them a bible study or a watchtower magazine. The churches do so much more for the local community, offering genuine help.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Hey snowbird - you said - """"Down here, the churches are feeding people, clothing them, repairing the homes of the elderly, tutoring kids and taking them to amusement parks. Why, last Saturday, with the temperature shooting for the hundred mark, I passed one church and they had kids handing our free bottles of ice-cold water!"""" -- I have thought about this alot.

When I was "in," I thought of it often, but repressed my doubts because I'd been told Satan would try to get us that way.

Now, I know it's just a bunch of hogwash and I'm disgusted with myself for subscribing to such notions!

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

OK, back on topic.

2/3, wasn't the woman who drowned her 5? kids from Texas?

Sylvia

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Georgie girl I agree with the research lady. I recommend that you and your Jehovah's Witness friends read the book written by Dr. Jerry Bergman "Jehovah's Witnesses and the problem of mental illness". This book might give skeptics an understanding of what is going on in the minds of "snapped" Witnesses. The book is full of true stories of Jehovah's Witnesses from a doctor's viewpoint of how J.W. doctrine affects the minds of so many poor, innocent Witnesses.

• mindmelda
  • mindmelda
    mindmelda

I had a religious obsession during post partum depression back when I had my son 16 years ago. I discovered this is pretty common with PPD, for some reason.

Fortunately, my PPD wasn't very severe, and I didn't have a psychotic break like some women who go unrecognized and untreated but I did become obsessed in a fantasy sort of way with the idea that if my whole family died, we'd all be guaranteed resurrection to be in the new system together. I'd already lost one full term baby, so I figured this was a workable plan if only I could figure out some way to do it without being a murderer! That's what stopped me from doing anything. I finally went to my doctor for help and was put on Paxil and Wellbutrin for about 6 months which straightened things out.

I know other Witness women with PPD who confessed to me that they had similar ideas..one elder's wife said that when she had PPD, she quit driving because she had this strong urge to drive her whole family off a bridge in the car so they could all die together and be in the new system together, guaranteed resurrection!

She had also previously lost a baby to SIDS, interestingly enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit