Where is the Watchtower Society sense of humor?

by besty 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

while propegating their own

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think Boozerford stopped everything that was frivolous. Before, people in the religion were able to celebrate Christmas and birthdays, even though they did not believe that Jesus was born on December 25. They were allowed to play real music, they had real hymns to sing during boasting sessions, and they did not all have to do field circus.

Then Boozerford came along, and seized control of the religion. He soon clamped down on the cross, Jesus, and the holidays. He took away a lot of the free time by instituting mandatory field circus for all disciples. And, from that point on, it was all downhill--every time someone enjoyed something, it was only a matter of time before the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger took it away.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They're unintentionally funny. Doesn't that count?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Many Witnesses at one time had a particular Far Side comic on their fridge. The blob family who saw Jehovah's Witnesses coming to their door and said, "Quick! Everyone pretend to be bean bag chairs!" Witnesses are so starved for humor (and narcissistic about any reference to themselves) they latch onto any joke that mentions them.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Come come! Do not say that the G/Body have no sense of humour. They wrote about it once - even jokes about other Nations !

" A Sense of Humor, Gods Gift "..Awake 1980 9/8 p 26-27

"The British are noted for dry humor, that is, when the speaker says something funny in a casual way and with a straight face. The British are fond also of the understatement. In this regard, the book Humour in Memoriam by George Mikes says: “Understatement is not simply a manner of making jokes; in England it is also a way of life. Other people use understatement too—the English do not own the copyright. A cartoon in the New Yorker showed two men on the flying trapeze and one has just missed the other’s hand, ninety feet up in the air. The man who made the somewhat absentminded mistake said: ‘Ooop, sorry.’ Surely, an understatement and an American understatement at that. But in other countries understatement is casual, incidental; in England it flows from the national character; it is in the air. It is, more often than not, not even meant as a joke.”

As an example of understatement, George Mikes relates the following: He says that a steamer was crossing the English Channel. “Only another man and myself were on deck and a violent storm was raging. A tremendous gale was lashing mountainous seas. We huddled there for a while, without uttering one single word. Suddenly a fearful gust blew the other chap overboard. His head emerged just once from the water below me. He looked at me calmly and remarked somewhat casually: ‘Rather windy, isn’t it?’”

The Irish brand of humor has its own appeal. Stephen Leacock gives an example in his book Humour: “An order has been made that ‘the last carriage shall not be attached to railway trains, as it is always subject to unpleasant shocks and oscillation.’” Also: “Don’t come down the ladder, Pat, because I have taken it away.”

The same writer gives the following example of Scottish humor, which, reputedly, is sometimes grim: “A Scotchman’s wife was taken ill and, seemingly, died. At her funeral as the coffin was being carried through the churchyard gate, the pall-bearers accidentally bumped it against a gatepost. The shock resuscitated the woman. She was taken from the coffin and survived for many years. Then she was taken ill, and, this time, really died. At the funeral, as the coffin approached the churchyard gates, the bereaved husband said to the pall-bearers, ‘Steady, lads, steady; dinna bump her.’”

• besty
    besty

" Young People Ask - Is A Sense of Humor Appropriate For True Christians? "

Jebus - they need to lighten up a bit....ooh i forgot....cults don't lighten up. Ever.

• wobble
    wobble

Whats the point of lightening up? you ain't allowed to enjoy a spliff.

Love

Wobble

• steve2
    steve2

Tsk tsk. You critics are far too harsh and short-sighted: There'll be plenty of time for humor in the new system and plenty of topics ripe for laughs. They'll need all the humor they can muster, what with all the billions of decaying, stinking corpses littering the landscape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit