Attending another church is grounds for disfellowshipping

by passwordprotected 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I'm listening to part two of Hobo Ken's first judicial committee meeting. The part of the proceedings I'm at is where the 3 elders on the committee are interrogating Hobo about his fellowship with my wife and me (we had started attending a church, this had become known to our respective families, so to save them having to testify against us we DAd). One elder in particular has a thorn up his backside (and he knows who he his) because Hobo, Iknowall and their kids went on holiday with us pre-Hobo's disfellowshipping. This elder and his wife were originally planning on going away with us, but when I stopped attending meetings they made it clear they would not associate with us anymore.

While on holiday we'd made a little video with the kids (I'm not in it, neither is my wife, so quite why this is used as some sort of evidence of associating with "disfellowshipped" ones is mental) and the video was on YouTube. My mother-in-law had seen it and reported it to the elders, as you do...

What's interesting, though, is one of the elders says;

"They've been attending another church which is obviously enough for us..." at this point he changes tack slightly. But it's clear what he's driving at; attending another church is grounds for disfellowshipping. This is obvious as he probes at Hobo Ken with unsubstantiated claims that he'd been attending a church too.

How on earth can the WTS make this policy square with the UNDHR Article 18??? Has anyone taken action against the WTS for breach of their human rights AND for breaching the International Convention for Civil and Political Rights, which the UK and USA are bound up to keep?

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's a religious matter, and something the govt stays out of, for the same reasons that you mention.

S

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

So if the government has pledged to uphold the UNDHR and Article 18 of the UNHDR states that everyone has the right to religious freedom and to change their religion, surely the WTS can be held accountable for denying this right to it's membership.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Mark,

I don't mean to be insensitive but who cares?

I know in reality you don't. You have left knowing they would treat you as "walking dead" but you know you have something much greater.

The Kingdom is like the pearl or field containing treasure, you have sold all you had for it.

Jesus has made a specific promise to you and those in your situation.

Matthew 19:29 (New International Version)

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Pray for them all Matthew 5:43-45 Luke 6:27-29 especially those who He lays on your heart.

All the best,

Stephen

• Satanus
    Satanus

My understanding is that if the govt intervened, it would be an infringement on the religious rights of the wt society. The wt society has all of the same rights, as does any individual.

S

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I think the ones who care, Stephen, are those who are in the Organisation, no longer believe the Governing Body, wish to leave, but are fearful of the penal sanctions imposed on those who leave; i.e. change their religion.

So, while I've left, my heart goes out to those who are still in and are trapped through fear.

Does the WTS get away with it's denial of human rights because they are never challenged on it?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

My understanding is that if the govt intervened, it would be an infringement on the religious rights of the wt society. The wt society has all of the same rights, as does any individual.

Does the religious group have the right to punish those who leave?

• passwordprotected
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

But it's clear what he's driving at; attending another church is grounds for disfellowshipping.

This was common knowledge, in my opinion. JWs are forbidden from participating in anything that smacks of interfaith.

Attending a wedding or a funeral was a "conscience matter" (which means you won't be DF'd), but attending a church service was grounds for DF'ing. This was clear. It was not up for discussion or interpretation.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have NEVER been able to comprehend the government's position on this.

Freedom of Religion should include the ability to CHANGE your religion and to GO TO other churches, without repurcussions on your current family & work life imposed by your current church. It seems to me that the Governments should step in to stop disfellowshipping and shunning; because it thwarts the individual person's freedom of religion.

Even if the government doesn't directly step in, I'd think the disfelloshipped person should be able to sue the Watchtower Soceity for hindering with their Freedom of Religion, just like the governments allow workers to sue their employer for racial, sexual, age, and handicapped status under the Bill of Rights. This would be a first of its kind suit, and would require money to do it. Perhaps the America Civil Liberties Unionwould step in to foot the costs. I think because the Islamic religion has a form of shunning/honor killing for those who reject Allah, Western Governments and Courts are going to harden their viewpoint on this subject. It just needs to be talked about more.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit