Share Your Blessings: What Has God Done for You?

by leavingwt 33 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't know where to start, but i won't argue with what anyone else has posted here already. The first thing that comes to my mind is that He shares His presence with me in my heart and mind from time to time, and this puts everything else in perspective. This is enough for me.

BTS

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

God blessed me when I became a JW. My parents kicked me out of the house because I got baptised as a JW. I lived in the car for several days looking for a job. I remember going to the unemployment office, they told me that when I became 21 then they could help me. I was 20 and had two years of college.

I prayed to God for help and looked in the newspaper for job listings. The first job I went to I was hired. The others I saw that interviewed were more qualified than me. I got a nice apartment for an unbelievable $100 a month. I became a regular pioneer and enjoyed many enjoyable experiences at the time.

When I started to mature and gain responsibilities in the WT organization was when things went sour. But you wanted positive things. When I started out as a JW, it was fun and exciting. I was blessed with alot of good friends and good times. I was invited to several brothers homes for upbuilding conversations and food. The congregation had several picnics, even with other surrounding congregations. I remember one autumn the congregation organized a gathering for a fall picnic including a JW band and hay rides for the young.

Remembering back that was some of the most enjoyable times I had. I miss many of those, that God blessed me to know, who really cared about others in the congregation, but they either moved or are no longer living.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thanks, Burns and Straightshooter.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Little Lamb, who made thee?
    Dost thou know who made thee?
    Gave thee life, and bid thee feed,
    By the stream and o'er the mead;
    Gave thee clothing of delight,
    Softest clothing woolly, bright;
    Gave thee such a tender voice,
    Making all the vales rejoice?
    Little Lamb, who made thee?
    Dost thou know who made thee?

Little Lamb, I'll tell thee,
    Little Lamb, I'll tell thee:
    He is callèd by thy name,
    For He calls Himself a Lamb.
    He is meek, and He is mild:
    He became a little child.
    I a child, and thou a lamb,
    We are callèd by His name.
    Little Lamb, God bless thee!
    Little Lamb, God bless thee!
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Parakeet, nice poem. Thanks.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I didn't write it. William Blake did.

My point in posting it is that, while I myself am an athiest, I've benefited from many great talents' belief in God, William Blake being one example. Much great poetry, literature, and music has resulted from belief in a nonexistent god. That's a blessing, perhaps the only one, from belief in God.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    My point in posting it is that, while I myself am an athiest, I've benefited from many great talents' belief in God, William Blake being one example. Much great poetry, literature, and music has resulted from belief in a nonexistent god. That's a blessing, perhaps the only one, from belief in God.

You make an interesting point. No doubt, many thougtful atheists are grateful for the art born of spirituality. Also, the enjoyment of celebrating religious holidays and the merriment and fellowship involved with this.

Thanks.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I will post mine before I finish reading others posts. I don't want to get sidetracked.

He gave me a soul mate and partner I could depend on. He matched us very well...we stayed strong as JW's together, and left together when we saw the true light!

He led us away from influencing and meddling family in JW org with a job offer far away at a time when we were struggling and beaten down, financially and spiritually.

He sent people into our lives I never could have imagined! I knew the moment I met our child's first grade teacher my faith would be put to the test and most probably fail. I seriously talked to my hubby about switching teachers. He said to wait and give her a chance. Our faith should stand against anything if put to the test. Within six months she was so excited to include our child in the Valentine's day activities and rejoiced with us at celebrating the first birthday with our child! We went to church with her for Easter...our first venture to a church and the rest is history! The funny thing is, we were living in apartments right next to a newly converted "sister" and her husband (who was studying) and their daughter. We went to separate meetings at the same hall (it was a shared hall, and she had studied with someone in the hall she attended). So if we missed, she never knew! Unless she was watching our coming and going!

Next we moved into a subdivision with an old elder (I think) and his wife at one end and their son that attended the other cong. at our hall at the other. But our closest neighbors had the most profound and religious conversations with us. Our children played together and the older couple babysat at times. It was a God send to have them right there! At first I thought Jehovah was trying to keep us near JW's...but really he was helping us escape! I felt guilty after going to their house for dinner and praying with them! I went to the elders and told how we had *gasp* shared a prayer and it was to Jesus. Their counsel and advice left me baffled. Their reasonings were lame and unchristian. Who would have thought that prayer would help us escape?

The shepherding calls that I requested left me upset and irritated. The elders thoughts were stupid and focused on glorification of men. One mentioned how the 144,000 would be judges of angels and how that was wonderful. How he thought that applied to our situation made no sense. It was a power trip for him! God showed me how worthless they were.

Then he sent us to one of the closest churches to our house. By accident on our part! We dressed to visit a church in town. We went to a Lutheran church, in view of hubby's German heritage we thought it would be a nice experience. We walked in and found the preacher was a woman, and felt uncomfortable with that due to our upbringing. We left. On the way home, we passed this church that was a mile from our house and tried it, seeing we were all dressed already. We fell in love with it and the fact it was non-denominational and only taught what was in the bible. Anything else wasn't touched on! No extra rules! The preacher came to visit and showed true love. He said he promised if we attended every meeting they had, if we ever needed anything, he would be there for us. Then he said, I promise you if you never come again, and you need anything I will be there for you. That is true christian love. That is something a witness would never say! At least not the elders!

When I read the bible, with only prayer for God's spirit to guide me, I fell in love with it. I read for hours. I read a book or more at a time. I took things in context and understood and saw more than I ever did in scripture. It was amazing! I felt like Christ was sitting next to me, leading me. At one time, I literally had a mental breakthrough and knew what Paul felt when he had "the scales fall from his eyes". It blew me away. Only God can do that.

God has freed me. He has taken me up when my own mother has forsaken me. I find him nature all around me, especially when I look at things in detail.

He has musicians with songs that reach my heart. As I was exiting, there are some songs by country artists that speak to my soul. Josh Turner has some. There is one about "if you're going through hell, keep on going, don't back down, if you're scared don't show it, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there". Loved that song!

God touches my heart and is on my mind everyday. I still struggle with my relationship with him, but I'm a work in progress. The JW mindset of never being good enough doesn't go away overnight. But I know he's there and he's led us and kept our little family afloat and together. I love Him. And sometimes, I now even pray to Jesus. Those are the times I think my heart is opened up and his love pours in. It's a struggle, but I know he's been with me my whole life. I wouldn't be here or have found my way out without Him.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

kittenwhiskers,

Thank you. You certainly sound like you have been very blessed, indeed.

-LWT

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Eph 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ;

If we believe this verse, what else is there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit