Edward Dunlap: Testimony on Bethel In 1979

by sacolton 31 Replies latest jw friends

• torre
    torre

As Ray Franz wrote in one of his books (In search of ...) when Ed Dunlap was disfellowshiped went back to his homeland in Oklahoma. His brother who at that time was JW and city overseer there was disfellowshiped as well, because he employed his brother.

• horrible life
    horrible life

What part of Oklahoma were they from? And what was his brothers name? The Dunlap name is so very familiar, but I was a young teenager back then, and didn't care what went on with the JW's, I was just chasing boys at that time.

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

I didnt receive the files either in my email?! I pm'd you another email address to try now.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Great I will download Ed's testimony...

• sacolton
    sacolton

I made a zShare account. Download the .mp3 audio here:

Ed Dunlap Describes His Experience In The 1980 Bethel Purge

Up until the purges that took place at Brooklyn Bethel in 1980, Ed Dunlap had served as the Registrar and one of the senior instructors of the Gilead School. Dunlap was one of the victims of the witch hunts that took place in 1980 and was disfellowshipped for "apostasy", along with members of the translation department.

In Raymond Franz’s book Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz discusses Ed Dunlap’s experience in detail. Dunlap and Franz were close friends who often discussed various Bible topics with one another. Ed Dunlap got into serious trouble when he began to offer his personal honest viewpoint regarding various Bible teachings to members of the Bethel family who asked him questions.

In this two-part audio recording, Ed Dunlap in his own words, talks about his decades of full time service and devotion to the organization. He explains the serious problems that he began to see with various Watchtower teachings and practices. He elaborates on what lead to him being interrogated by members of the Governing Body, and summarily disfellowshipped.

Part One:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/633213929f4fb1e9/

Part Two:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/633215789d328f87/

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Sacolton,

Thanks so much for providing these mp3 files. I do not have the skills to convert the old version like you did, and as technology would have it, the mp3 is far easier to share and maintain.

I do want to share for other readers here that the download site where these files are loaded makes efforts to scare users into thinking their computers are compromised with viruses. Screens will open that look authentic, as though your own computer is reacting to a threat. Look carefully before you click any soft-keys.

In the end my downloads were successful (I think). But I had to fight the zshare.net web site every step of the way. Maybe I am just old and cantankerous. Or, maybe I am spoiled. Or, maybe I am right about zshare. Regardless, I just wanted to share.

Thanks again Sacolton! I have been looking for these particular mp3 files for years!

Marvin Shilmer

• sacolton
    sacolton

Strange. I didn't have those problems. No pop-ups, threats or virus scares on my end. Hmmmm ...

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

Thanks for these! Btw, does anyone know when this recording was made? Early 80s?

• sacolton
    sacolton

*blump*

• JWoods
    JWoods

Marion Dunlap was Ed's brother, and one of my very best friends from the organization days. He and I spent hours privately discussing what was going on with the society during those weird years post 1975 - the rotation of elders, the lame excuses on the dates, the weird treatment Ed, Ray, and others were getting at Bethel, and so on.

They were from Oklahoma City, (previously I think from some smaller surrounding town when they were just boys) and the congregation was Oak Glen. I was disfellowshipped first (wrote my CO a good hot letter), but Marion stayed on for a few months. Finally they got him for association with Ed. Marion's wife Edith never left the WT cult, but he took good care of her up to her death. He lived a few more years, and I talked with him on the phone almost every week until he finally just went through basically old age. Ed, of course, had passed away from a coronary several years before.

These were great, humble, and honest people. Despite all the hate rumors, neither one EVER tried to start their own religion or anything else of that sort. Marion asked that no ceremony be made over him, and had his ashes spread out in his old back yard, as was Edith earlier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit