Catholicism--Curious About It

by White Dove 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

lrkr

I can see your point. Transubstantiation is pretty much central to their whole church service. But I can assure you that outside of the church services, the flock participate in many different charitable services and alot of that is also coordinated, and overseen by many priests, friars and many nuns. In contrast to protestant groups, catholics stress works along with faith...only the catholic parishoners actually get the good works right vs the bogus self-serving field service "works" that the WTS plugs.

You'll find all kinds of Catholic charities providing medical and food services. Heck the local catholic highschools yearly have a fund-raiser around Easter-Time to send money to the needy in the 3rd world. The catholic highschool I went to also recently had a teacher (also a deacon) and a slew of students spend most of the summmer in central america to provide wells for small communities. So don't be too shocked about what that priest said. Transubstantiation is how they all supposed mystically commune with God, so its very important for the priest to perform that function. But along with that communion those who are motivated to really practice the catholic faith do a world of good.

P.S. I'm not a Catholic (only scored 22% Catholic or there abouts, in that beliefnet poll)

• White Dove
    White Dove

I agree with you, Midget. Talk is cheap, but these guys really get things done for the community. I've benefited a few times fromt their charity work while a JW. It really saved me and my family. I've always felt a debt of gratitude to the Church for that.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Well, I just got back from a Catholic bookstore to look at some stuff. I asked the mother of the owner why birth control is bad. I said that since sperm and eggs die anyway, what's the problem? She went on the attack and said forcefully about respect of life and so on. The owner, her son, was a bit embarrassed by her behavior and tried to answer my question more objectively. I walked out of there thinking NO WAY am I getting mixed up in that controlling religion. Finally, I realized their stand: You don't mess with the natural course of things but let them happen, otherwise you are interrupting what God could have done. I'm am so unconcerned with this issue or any other issue that attempts to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body. Aside from that, it's good. I'm not looking to follow legalese, just spirituality.

But the more I read about it, the more I like it. People pretty much follow their own consciences when it comes to moral things, anyway. There are many ways to express faith. There are strongly passionate people in every religion. I feel the need for charity and principal minded people to be around more. Like I said, my coven doesn't get together very often. I'm going to Mass tomorrow morning. I like the atmosphere and mood there. The idea of having lots of saints for different things is the same as having many gods and goddesses for many different things. Still reading and checking things out.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

White Dove,

The Church's stand on contraceptives is puzzling for me too. The Rhythm method just isn't effective. I don't want to derail the thread topic so I'm going to end matters on procreation (or hindering it) right there, cuz I'm rather in accord with the catholics on some other things.

When I went to Catholic school, I wasn't supposed to go to the masses (per JWs) but I went anyway with the class. While the other highschoolers hated it, I loved them becauseof the mood, atmosphere and rituals. I didn't share in the communion though but the rest of it was great. They purposefully made sit across different classes and students so that when the time came to offer peace and greetings it would be with teens we'd never normally even talk to. Unfortunately that never stopped them squeezing my hand flat. ;)

• White Dove
    White Dove

You were a JW in Catholic school? Did your parents start studying while you were in that school or something? On BC, I'd say do as you feel is right for you. No one can make such a personal decision for you. I'm so far removed from the legal stuff of the WT that others' laws just don't matter to me, except for laws of the land. Religions sure do push the envelope when it comes to violating our civil rights.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

WhiteDove

Both parents started off catholic. So I started off in the catholic school system. My date converted to JWs around the time I started but my mom didn't for roughly 2 decades. She was adamant that while my Dad made me and my sib live out life as JWs, we still were to go to catholic school. Pros and cons to that kind of background.

Bluecanary

The big difference between Mass and the KH meetings is that you normally won't be hounded by the priests and deacons if you seem to be more independent in your thinking or not in regular attendance.

• lrkr
    lrkr

I definately agree that catholic charity is a good thing- and they are quite effective at it. But I prefer a more symbolic interpretation of the mass. The service does seem to be somewhat exclusive (exclusionary) too. "If you arent a catholic or if it has been a long time since your last communion you should refuse the host by placing your hands together and instead be blessed by the father." (No holy communion for you- you nasty little Lutheran!!)

• White Dove
    White Dove

Went to Mass this morning, then went home and watched it on TV with captions. I like the ceremonial style of the service. I didn't feel preached at but felt like it was all praise and appreciation. I liked how short each speech was and that it didn't go into life management preaching like it did on another channel. This is more my style with honoring the Lord and Lady. Others may not understand it, but there is such a thing as a Christian Wiccan (although the Wiccan part of it is usually kept private). I feel so grateful to the Lord and Lady for all they've done for me. I love exploring various ways of expressing my thanks.

Edited to add: And it was only 1/2 hour long! My mind didn't have time to wander. I think Sunday Masses are longer and have more to them. I could be wrong.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Casilabas, I read an interesting book by a converted person of orthodox JEWISH heritage who eventually became orthodox and who was first drawn to christianity by his study with a JW! Kind of ironic, but the more he read the Bible, the more he realized that they didn't quite have it right:) (biblically). Fr. James Bernstein is quite a character(I am acquainted with him via common friends, phone and email). I think his book is "Surprised by Christ". He was a co-founder of Jews for Jesus and was a mover in the early 70's Jesus movement.

Everything I understand about the Eastern Catholic is that they are basically Orthodox but accept some authority from the Pope. There is a different kind of attitude about worship in the Orthodox church that I didn't get at the RC. But I was in a different place then, too. Haven't been to a RC church for awhile.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I bought a Rosary (sparkly aqua marine) and a how to book. I also am visiting more often and finding peace and pleasant metaphores in the rituals and readings. The RC Church is just around the corner from me. A little ways down is the Episcopal church, which is supposed to be similar to RC but without the Pope. This summer has been interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit