Meandering Thoughts of my Old Life - Regrets

by AllTimeJeff 20 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Two threads popped up today, one on pedophiles and JW's, and another on what keeps us/me coming back here....

I gotta tell you, when I remember that I was once an elder, spouting off the company line, it makes me sick. It really does. When I had to read the defense of JW pedophiles today, I was reminded that I too once spouted a similar line. I personally observed other elders resign for what I knew to be real differences they had with the GB on how to handle pedophiles. I sat there and nodded. At the time, I knew which side my bread was being buttered....

I never did stand up for the victims as a matter of principle. Fortunately for me, we had to deal with an old case, the victims were adults by the time I learned about it. Of course, the families were still threatened to be quiet in that dispicable JW thing about "confidentiality" and "respect for the elders..."

I didn't get it until after I left. I knew it was a problem, hell, I met at least 7-8 in the prison in our territory. But my head was so stuffed full of Governing Body bullshit, and I had wanted to be an elder so bad all my life, I just couldn't see.

*sigh*

I am really sorry that it took me leaving the borg to see it. Today, I feel like absolute shit about that. I was such a dickhead. Anyone who wants to be an elder at the age I was is nothing more then an ambitious snot nosed zit.

I tried toward the end of my time as an elder to be good and encouraging, but I was still an elder. Damn it! I should have just quit before I ever left for Gilead.... I am here now, to do whatever the hell I can.

Sorry for the rant. I hate that what I wanted above all else as a JW, I got to do, and to find out that made me part of a system that supports terrorizing people just makes me sick....

I hope everyone has a good night. I am probably just tired... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

• Robdar
    Robdar

You did the best you could at the time....Forgive yourself and be kind to yourself because you are a good man.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Get some sleep, Jeff.

We all have regrets and must come to terms with our sense of personal guilt in matters where we acted as yes-men.

Bonne nuit,

CoCo Former Elder

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

At least you woke up eventually.

Some go to their grave still in the stupor. Not that they are to be blamed; mind control is powerful stuff.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ..You were an AssHole!!.....LOL!!

Theres nothing we can do,to change the past..

The best we can do,is try to be a better person now..

Your doing that..

No one can ask any more from you,than that..

Stay on the road,you are on..You are now a Benifit,to Those around You..

..................OUTLAW

• Emily24
    Emily24

I remember 'Madden 95' on the Sega, and losing badly to you! Miami vs Detroit...we played it like every day Mon-Fri!!! You'd still prob beat me on Madden 10' on the PS3!!! Damn you! I could never beat AlltimeJeff at video games....ever!!! No matter what game!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Forgive yourself, Hon. There are none so blind as those who will not see... and you eventually saw through the blinders they insisted you wear.

Give yourself credit... you got out, and you are in a position to help folks see things clearly now. Do not kick yourself for the past when you are a much wiser person now than you were then.

Love to you.
    Baba.

• nelly136
    nelly136

least youre honest about it, you've just given me dejavu of the wannabes, some of em full grown men competing with elders sons suckin up and showing their prowess with the mic handling and how well they could twiddle the knobs on the sound system, wish i'd watched more closely woulda prolly been the closest thing to competative sport.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey "Emily24". Yup, those were the days... I was an MS then, and yes, you sucked! :)

Thanks guys.... Yesterday just hit a nerve, I didn't mean to rub salt in my own wound.... It is amazing how one can turn off their brain when they are doing something....

I am working on being less of an asshole, I am even taking classes! lol

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I know what you mean, ATJ.

A big part of recovery, for me, was FORGIVING myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit